 Off-Topic / Geek / 1459
Re: so-called "deep-linking" ruled okay
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.geek
Date:
Fri, 31 Mar 2000 19:22:17 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

In lugnet.off-topic.geek, Matthew Miller wrote:

Jacob Sparre Andersen <sparre@sys-323.risoe.dk> wrote:
Why do you write that it may be impolite to link directly to
a page?

Well, if you link directly to things deep within a site, you're not really
respecting the user experience the site designer had in mind. That may or
may not be impolite. (In fact, I'd argue that on a well designed site, it
probably isn't.)

What would you say about this:

<http://www.mindling.com/sebnet/jumppage/>

?

(Something I just noticed recently....)

Assuming they didn't ask your permission first, I'd say grabbing your
quotes is kinda rude.  Except for the existence of your uncopyright
page, which pretty much allows anyone to do what they want.  But still,
professional sites should have better standards.

Steve