 Off-Topic / Geek / 1451
Re: so-called "deep-linking" ruled okay
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.geek
Date:
Fri, 31 Mar 2000 15:17:05 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

Matthew:

Well, if you link directly to things deep within a site, you're not really
respecting the user experience the site designer had in mind. That may or
may not be impolite. (In fact, I'd argue that on a well designed site, it
probably isn't.)

A web page is supposed to be able to stand alone (of cause
with all its links). If it can't, the site designer has
misunderstood his medium (IMNSHO).

What would you say about this:

<http://www.mindling.com/sebnet/jumppage/>

Probably illegal, but since the author doesn't seem to
pretend that the content of the upper frame is his work, he
can probably get away with it.

Images are actually a bit of a problem. - We have to store
them as separate entities, but most image file formats don't
include features for captions and copyright information (or
the browsers just ignore it).

Following my arguments above, it should be perfectly
legitimate to link directly to other peoples pictures, if it
wasn't for the inability to include visible copyright
information in image files.

The PNG format allows for inclusion of text with the images,
but I have yet to see a browser that uses this for showing
things like image title, caption, and copyright.

Play well,

Jacob

--  E-mail:               sparre@cats.nbi.dk              --
--  Web...:   <URL: http://hugin.ldraw.org/LEGO/Huse/ >   --