 Off-Topic / Geek / 1456
Re: so-called "deep-linking" ruled okay
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.geek
Date:
Fri, 31 Mar 2000 17:50:22 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

Dan:

In lugnet.off-topic.geek, Jacob Sparre Andersen writes:
- it could be only one frame out of a complete frameset...

That is a part of the error in the FRAME construction.

how so?  should I put in every page in every frameset a check to make sure I'm
still within it?  I'm not sure I understand what you mean here...

The HTML construct with the FRAMESET and FRAME elements is a
serious mistake that Netscape forced unto W3C even though it
doesn't fit with the design of the web.

what about using up their bandwidth?

I don't feel the least bit bad about using peoples bandwidth,
and I would be using more of their bandwidth if I didn't link
directly to the relevant resource.

The whole idea with publishing something on the web is that
people should read it. If I link to a resource I just help
the publisher getting more readers (and I would actually
expect him to think that it is nice - even though I hear that
being /.'ed can be a bit hard).

Generally I try to keep people informed of which of their
resources I link to, but if people asked/forced me to only
link to their home page, I would probably remove all my
links to their site.

I'm not saying it's never ok - in a lot of cases, deep linking is fine.  But
you can't always assume it's ok.

OK.

But until I see an example that demonstrates the opposite, I
will assume that deep linking always _is_ fine.

Jacob
--
.no.automatic.lugnet.sigs.yet