 Off-Topic / Geek / 1455
Re: so-called "deep-linking" ruled okay
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.geek
Date:
Fri, 31 Mar 2000 16:39:03 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

In lugnet.off-topic.geek, Jacob Sparre Andersen writes:
- it could be only one frame out of a complete frameset...

That is a part of the error in the FRAME construction.

how so?  should I put in every page in every frameset a check to make sure I'm
still within it?  I'm not sure I understand what you mean here...

what about you abusing someone server for them?  if I make
a lego DB, and have all the images just linked from
lugnet, I'm taking advantage of Todd's disk space and
bandwidth, just to save my own.  That might increase his
costs.  I don't think one should do such a thing without
permission.

The question is when it is abuse...

Todd has the images on his server because he want people to
see them, but he also (very reasonably) wants a bit of
credit for the service he is doing us.

Currently the only practical way he can get that credit is
by having the images shown on his pages (and that can be
handled technically).

Inlining other people's images is currently
misrepresentation of copyright (direct links to other's
images could also be viewed that way).

what about using up their bandwidth?

Generally I try to keep people informed of which of their
resources I link to, but if people asked/forced me to only
link to their home page, I would probably remove all my
links to their site.

I'm not saying it's never ok - in a lot of cases, deep linking is fine.  But
you can't always assume it's ok.

:)

Dan