 Off-Topic / Geek / 1449
Re: so-called "deep-linking" ruled okay
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.geek, lugnet.publish
Date:
Fri, 31 Mar 2000 02:46:55 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

Todd Lehman <lehman@javanet.com> wrote:
4.  Where the website you're linking to has a splash page with a "click to
   Enter" screen.
   (Very impolite to deep-link in this case.)

A clarification on this one: usually the point of such pages is to preload
data for following pages, or maybe to do some autodetection code and not
worry about it later. So while linking past this may seem like you're doing
people a favor, you actually might not be.

I find it helpful as a user of that page with links, but that's a completely
separate issue.  By deep-linking, you're being more polite to the user while
possibly being less polite to the owner of the site you're deep-linking into.

Yes, that's often true. So it depends who you care more about. :)