 Off-Topic / Geek / 1445
Re: so-called "deep-linking" ruled okay
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.geek
Date:
Thu, 30 Mar 2000 18:13:56 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

Ben:

While it may be impolite, linking to something deep
within a website is not illegal.
Why do you write that it may be impolite to link directly to
a page?

One reason is that it could possibly by-pass any relevant
disclaimers that the owner of the web site puts on the
front page.  Are you still bound to the agreement made
when you click "I agree" if you never see that page?

A website with "click agree pages" that can be bypassed by
something as simple as a bookmark are defect, and nobody in
their sane mind would ever admit having seen such a "click
agree page".

The world wide web works by URL's, and it is a part of the
official goal of the design of the infrastructure that you
can share URL's with others.

I don't buy that one.

Play well,

Jacob