 Off-Topic / Debate / Search Results: all rights are property rights
 Results 1801 – 1820 of about 12000.
Search took 0.01 CPU seconds.

Messages:  Full | Brief | Compact

  Re: Something not right about Captain Ahnee and the Dipwads?

In one context, Jar Jar is a member of a fantasy world who happens to talk silly and act like an idiot (in my opinion--these are subjective statements). Within the framework of that reality, he does not deserve pain and suffering heaped upon him for (...) (24 years ago, 3-Nov-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

rights
(score: 1.606)

  Re: Something not right about Captain Ahnee and the Dipwads?

(...) Only sort of. I see the grant of self-responsibility as legally being a gradual thing. As a person ages, the law puts more and more responsibility on the shoulders of the individual, and provides more and more rights. Maybe you are right in (...) (24 years ago, 5-Nov-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

rights
(score: 1.606)

  Re: Something not right about Captain Ahnee and the Dipwads?

Glad to read your post, Chris. We've got some disagreements, but I was mainly concerned that my tone would come off as condescending or insulting. Many discussions have shown that people can interpret animousity where non is intended in these (...) (24 years ago, 7-Nov-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

rights
(score: 1.606)

  Re: My Gun Control Rant

(...) be (...) First, I really (really!) meant consumer firearms. Military contract is a bit different. Now, the purpose (if you mean _my_ purpose) when I travel with a concealed firearm is not to kill people. It is to defend myself. I have defended (...) (24 years ago, 7-Jan-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

property
(score: 1.606)

  Re: From Harry Browne

(...) There are tons of sentients (not people) who are excluded from the possesion of rights. When this is justified, the arguments are typically based on the fact that they're dumber than us, religious dictate, or something seemingly undefinable (...) (24 years ago, 12-Nov-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

rights
(score: 1.606)

  Re: From Harry Browne

(...) I think you have crystallized why the abortion issue is so thorny, because it deals with 2 issues at the same time. Maggie is right that woman should have the right to do what they will with their bodies. But the fact is that a fetus *in* a (...) (24 years ago, 13-Nov-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

rights
(score: 1.606)

  Re: My Gun Control Rant

(...) What a device is _primarily_ designed to do and what one does with it, in my mind, are two very different things. The fact of the matter is it doesn't matter if a pencil is designed to write on paper with, you _could_ buy it for the express (...) (24 years ago, 7-Jan-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

property
(score: 1.606)

  Re: From Harry Browne

Uh oh where'd he go? I can't find this other post, though I disagreed strongly when I read it. "Larry Pieniazek" <lpieniazek@mercator.com> wrote in message news:G3rzwM.3H5@lugnet.com... (...) I could have sworn that was one of the current (...) (24 years ago, 9-Nov-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

rights
(score: 1.605)

  Re: Abortion, consistent with the LP stance? (Re: From Harry Browne

(...) In general, yes. (...) It has certainly been known to happen. (...) Yes! (...) Why not? It seems rather obvious to me. If not, then what guiding force do you attribute it to? (...) There is no such thing as natural purpose. Intelligences are (...) (24 years ago, 11-Nov-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

rights
(score: 1.605)

  Re: Abortion, consistent with the LP stance? (Re: From Harry Browne

(...) Nice term "non-sentient tissue structure". Merely because the fetus has yet to develop sentiency doesn't mean that it won't-- aborting it robs it of its right to do so. I think timing is irrelevant. I think that's why IUDs were such a bad (...) (24 years ago, 10-Nov-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

rights
(score: 1.605)

  Re: Abortion, consistent with the LP stance? (Re: From Harry Browne

(...) So you're stating that sex is an end to itself, and pregnancy is an occasional accident? So basically...we accidentally have a population of some 6 billion. I can't agree. Though sex has its own individual merits, the obvious natural purpose (...) (24 years ago, 10-Nov-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

rights
(score: 1.605)

  Re: Abortion, consistent with the LP stance? (Re: From Harry Browne

(...) I didn't state that very clearly, and I apologize. I meant that the sole purpose of sex cannot be identified as reproduction, at least not among species able to choose when they want to copulate. (...) Let me be clear--the fact that it is (...) (24 years ago, 10-Nov-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

"Christopher Weeks" <clweeks@eclipse.net> wrote in message news:G3x13L.8HB@lugnet.com... (...) father. (...) the (...) to. We (...) decent (...) it (...) right (...) the (...) exist (...) that (...) I wonder if the human rights abuses of women in (...) (24 years ago, 13-Nov-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

"Selçuk Göre" <ssgore@superonline.com> wrote in message news:3A0FF811.1D604F...ine.com... (...) There are known methods of having sex and not having it result in pregnancy which can be used. If you don't want to have a child, I would say don't allow (...) (24 years ago, 13-Nov-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

rights
(score: 1.605)

  Re: Abortion, consistent with the LP stance? (Re: From Harry Browne

(...) An optimistic notion, to be sure, but I don't know that it's consistent with reality. The process by which someone becomes hardened into a life of crime is insidious and *very* long term (or at least potentially so); I cannot imagine, nor has (...) (24 years ago, 16-Nov-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

rights
(score: 1.604)

  Re: guns, guns, guns (was: demographics (was: My Gun Control Rant))

(...) Well, I suppose guns are necessary for an insurgency to be armed. They may not be the only effective means of achieving substantial political change; cf feminism for another example. (...) Not necessarily, but that's not my point. Gandhi's (...) (24 years ago, 15-Jan-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

property
(score: 1.604)

  Re: Will Libertopia cause the needy to get less?

(...) Sweat shops in this country are primarily inhabited by illegal immigrants - since their actions are predicated on being "illegal", what protections do they have? As for third world country sweat shops - a people as a whole allow themselves to (...) (24 years ago, 27-Nov-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

rights
(score: 1.602)

  Re: Essay on Emerson vs. Thoreau; civil disobedience

(...) Hmm.. not necessarily, but most probably. Mostly it's to say that I don't have a problem with you breaking the law, so long as you don't put moral fault on the government for punishing your lack of adherence to it. Basically, should those who (...) (24 years ago, 30-Jan-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

property
(score: 1.601)

  Re: Polyamory

(...) In many ways, our rights are stronger than your own. It is true, I don't have the right to carry a gun to church - but I don't want it. Scott A (...) (24 years ago, 15-Dec-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

rights
(score: 1.601)

  Re: IP ( was Re: LP POINT 1

(...) And mine. But it wasn't a really really bad dodge, merely a minor one, I'm not too upset about it. Scott, I can restate it if you want to try answering yes or no, but I think most of us know the answer already. However I don't want to put (...) (24 years ago, 6-Dec-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

rights
(score: 1.600)

More:  Next Page >>