 Off-Topic / Debate / 7327
Re: Abortion, consistent with the LP stance? (Re: From Harry Browne
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Thu, 16 Nov 2000 00:47:47 GMT

I think that most criminals are first caught during their youth.  That aside,
I'm sure there are some who live long full lives of crime and never get
caught. I still suspect that if someone can be hardened, they can be softened.

  An optimistic notion, to be sure, but I don't know that it's consistent with
reality.  The process by which someone becomes hardened into a life of crime is
insidious and *very* long term (or at least potentially so); I cannot
imagine, nor has anyone to date imagined, a process by which criminals are
fully reclaimed from such lives with any more than anecdotal success.
  Are you advocating forcible "behavior modification" against the will of a
mentally competent but criminal adult?  Or are you assuming that anyone who
pursues a life of crime is mental imbalanced?
  If you're suggesting the former, I don't know how such a suggestion is
morally any better than theft, rape, or murder, since it presumes to alter a
person's mentality against that person's will.  If the latter, then I think
you're stacking the rhetorical deck in your favor by ignoring the possibility
that a sane person can in fact pursue a life of crime.

What compassion, then, is due a so-called hardened criminal, or even
a soft-and-cuddly criminal, who, as a a self-responsible adult, has
nonetheless chosen to flout the legal system?

The compassion that we would have for any person who has lost their way.

  Lost their way only from the path society as a whole has chosen; are you
suggesting the forfeiture of criminals' civil rights of choice? For that
matter, maybe they haven't lost their way but have instead chosen to pursue a
different way.

One who is unrepentent, is either innocent, or broken. If they are broken they
require mental therapy.  Once they no longer require such therapy, they will
want to make amends.

  I'm not sure what to make of this statement, because it's amazingly naive and
I know that you're not naive. You're stating, in effect, that everyone either: