 Off-Topic / Debate / 7334
Re: Abortion, consistent with the LP stance? (Re: From Harry Browne
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Thu, 16 Nov 2000 11:14:55 GMT

I still suspect that if someone can be hardened, they can be softened.

An optimistic notion, to be sure, but I don't know that it's consistent with
reality.  The process by which someone becomes hardened into a life of crime
is insidious and *very* long term (or at least potentially so); I cannot
imagine, nor has anyone to date imagined, a process by which criminals are
fully reclaimed from such lives with any more than anecdotal success.

I expect that if it takes them a long time to harden, it will take at least as
long to soften.  And ultimately, I don't know how to do what I'm suggesting.
If you can arrange stewardship over a prison and a somewhat increased budget
with which to experiment, I'll give it a go, though.

Are you advocating forcible "behavior modification" against the will of a
mentally competent but criminal adult?  Or are you assuming that anyone who
pursues a life of crime is mental imbalanced?

I suppose that I am suggesting forcible behavior modification.  It seems that
in most cases it would be less cruel than a life imprisonment.  I dunno.  I
just asked myself, would I rather have to replace one third of my personality
with one chosen by the state, or live in prison for the rest of my life, and I
can't answer clearly.  On the other hand, I have opted to keep my life of crime
so petty (or so well disguised) that I'm not facing prison and have never even
been officially arrested.

If you're suggesting the former, I don't know how such a suggestion is
morally any better than theft, rape, or murder, since it presumes to alter a
person's mentality against that person's will.

I guess I would use the same reasoning that anyone could use to justify the
slavery that we currently employ.  They checked their rights at the door.  They
chose (or whatever) to puruse their violence and this is the repercussion.  Now
that I've laid it out, I'm uncomfortable with it, but it still seems like an
improvement; the lesser of two evils.

[snip]
One who is unrepentent, is either innocent, or broken. If they are broken
they require mental therapy.  Once they no longer require such therapy,
they will want to make amends.

I'm not sure what to make of this statement, because it's amazingly
naive and I know that you're not naive. You're stating, in effect, that
everyone either: