 Off-Topic / Debate / 7326
Re: From Harry Browne
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Thu, 16 Nov 2000 00:02:24 GMT

Maggie Cambron wrote:

I hope it's okay to butt in, but I have a question for you, Maggie (or anyone,
really; I guess that I just find women's perspectives more vested on this • topic).
Should a woman who engages in sexual activity as a willing participant be at • all
responsible for becoming pregnant?

I think the problem is that pro-choice people would say that of course she's
responsible.  Not because of any law or ethic, but because she ends up with the
loaf in the oven.  And it is her responsibility to have it removed if that's
how she wants to deal with it.

Barring rape or contraceptive failure, hasn't she brought the violation
upon herself?  I know that she doesn't *want* to become pregnant, but
if she is careless and becomes pregnant, then by what right should
she be able to abort?  Is the pregnancy *really* against her will?  Her
will was to play sexual roulette-- shouldn't she have to endure the
consequences of her actions?

And she does.  She has to pay for an abortion.

IF you accept that the fetus has the moral value of any other random gobbet of
tissue, let's say a slug, then there is absolutely no reason that she should
have to bear any burden due to her "sexual roulette."  There is nothing at all
wrong with sex, so no punishment is warranted.  The only possible reason that a
woman should be prevented from freely aborting is if we value a fetus like we
value and adult.

Maggie doesn't.  You do.  (Sort of.)

All that said, I think it's creepy as hell that she thinks murder shouldn't be
legislated against!  I mean, I guess I sort of think that too, but only for my
flavor of utopia.  Not for a society at all close to this one.

Chris