 Off-Topic / Debate / 7491
Re: Will Libertopia cause the needy to get less?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Mon, 27 Nov 2000 21:06:08 GMT

I prefer "Would Libertopia cause the needy to get less?"

Libertopia infers that it is accomplishable - that man is willing to
re-distribute his wealth. The fact that man, today, is willing to have kids
working in sweat shops in the developing world to ensure he can have cheap
trainers suggests to me that is not yet ready to re-distribute his wealth.

Sweat shops in this country are primarily inhabited by illegal immigrants -
since their actions are predicated on being "illegal", what protections do
they have? As for third world country sweat shops - a people as a whole
allow themselves to be treated as they do by not rising up and demanding
anything different. I do not believe that the people of Iraq, Cuba, etc. are
incapable of overthrowing the evil men which perpetuate these types of human
rights violations. We did it here, they can do it there. Overly simplistic?
Yes, but true none the less.

Back to your question, my first question is less what? Everyone will have
less money in Libertopia, as it will not exist in its current form (my
understanding). As for Wealth, even respected libertarian economists accept
that there is no guarantee that the market can provide everything to
everyone. Indeed, even Larry's economic guru accepted that some tax will be
required for areas of welfare (I am not sure which) as the market will not
be able to provide it. Libertopia can not exist with welfare tax. So in
terms of wealth, I think the needy would get less.

It then follows that less personal wealth means less health, less education,
etc.

Finally, if you are tempted to overhaul your system of government, the test
should not be "Would the needy get less?". It should be "Would the needy get
more?".

Scott A

The fundamental flaw in this entire argument is that the government has the
right to determine what anybody should get. Keep the government out of my
business. If I break the law, then get into my business. Until then I'm
innocent until proven guilty. I believe the LP has this premise as it's
goal, although I admit a boat load of ignorance on the LP. I prefer any
system which allows individuals to be what they may. This is the heart of
the matter. Some people have no desire, why should we be coerced to
subsidize such lack of will. Those who are truly needy and helpless are a
different story, yet a relatively small part of what we call poor. Most
people are poor at their own hand. Government should NOT force benevolence.
It must be an individual choice to be effective. Besides, the government is
like Frankenstien's Monster, once you put it together, it won't let you kill it.