 Off-Topic / Debate / 7258
Re: From Harry Browne
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Mon, 13 Nov 2000 19:51:08 GMT

Christopher Weeks wrote:

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Maggie Cambron writes:
[big snip]
I suspect I would choose to terminate the pregnancy-- in the case of a Down's
Syndrome child, I have no idea what I would do.  And I hope never to be faced
with such a decision.  But I do want it to be MY decision, with input from my
husband and my doctor.  I want to examine my own conscience, I do not want
some
strangers in Washington, possibly with entirely different views from my own
dictating to me what I can or cannot do with my body. Yes, I would be making
that decision knowing I decide the fate of a living being inside my body.  But
please, let ME be the one to make that decision.  If it happened to you or • your
partner, I wouldn't dream of butting in.  I would hope that I could be granted
the same courtesy.

I believe the same logic can be applied to any act that we consider crimes.

e.g. If someone inconvenienced me, I suspect I would choose to kill them.  "I
hope never to be faced with such a decision.  But I do want it to be MY
decision...I want to examine my own conscience, I do not want some strangers in
Washington, possibly with entirely different views from my own dictating to me
what I can or cannot do with my body.  Yes, I would be making that decision
knowing I decide the fate of a living being...  But please, let ME be the one
to make that decision.  If it happened to you...I wouldn't dream of butting in.
I would hope that I could be granted the same courtesy."

How do you feel about that?

I think you have crystallized why the abortion issue is so thorny, because it
deals with 2 issues at the same time.  Maggie is right that woman should have the
right to do what they will with their bodies.  But the fact is that a fetus *in* a
woman's body is not *a part* of a woman's body-- it is a separate body altogether,
and that  body has rights which are not superseded by the rights of the mother.

-John

Your appeal has no weight with me.  I might end up being prochoice.  I
think that's how I lean.  But not because that's what someone wants.  Only
because I decide it's right.

Chris