 Off-Topic / Debate / 8502
Re: My Gun Control Rant
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Sun, 7 Jan 2001 15:11:57 GMT

Dave Low wrote:

To my mind the difference is that pens, pencils, screwdrivers, baseball bats
etc have a primary purpose which does not involve maiming or death. I would
trust a six year old with a pencil. If you want to own a machine that is
explicitly designed to kill someone, I think you should have to register it.
What about cars? Much more useful than guns, although just as dangerous, and
we don't mind registering them.

What a device is _primarily_ designed to do and what one does with it,
in my mind, are two very different things.  The fact of the matter is it
doesn't matter if a pencil is designed to write on paper with, you
_could_ buy it for the express purpose of killing someone.  Since this
is true it has to work the other way - although a gun can be used to
kill another human, MOST people do not buy them for this purpose.

Getting back to my original argument, even if someone does buy a gun to
kill someone - (1) they aren't going to register it, (2) They will
normally buy a handgun, for which there are already strict registration
laws in place.  I have yet to hear anyone tell me how the _new_ gun
registration laws, mentioned in my original post, will serve to reduce
crime.

But if you reduce the total number of guns in the community then both the
legal and illegal gun markets will shrink.

How do you figure the illegal markets will SHRINK?!?

...Which is my best guess as to the REAL reason for the new gun laws.
The gun laws will do nothing to reduce crime but rather punish law
abiding citizens for owning this particular piece of property (where it
is their right to own).

It also makes it less likely that
kids will blow their heads off when they find a gun in their dad's cupboard.

Again, you're punishing law abiding citizens.  The new gun registration
laws aren't going to help this - there are already laws in place that
guns must be properly stored and locked away, seperate from amunition,
etc etc.

Besides that fact this isn't the fault of the freaking gun!  It's the
fault of the stupid father who (1) did not keep the gun properly stored
and (2) did not properly educate his kid on gun safety.

My _opinion_ is that our current society is so scared of even mentioning
a gun like it is some evil forbidden topic that we think there is
something wrong if a child or young teen exhibits an interest in guns.
For those of you who have said you live in an area where guns are not
part of anyone's hobby that you know, you my not understand but guns can
be a very interesting subject to those who are exposed to them - just
like any other hobby.  The parent who owns guns and doesn't properly
instruct them about the very real dangers of them is just stupid.  They
never neglect to instruct them about the dangers of every other item in
the household - the hot stove, the poisonous plant, the
scissors....whatever.  Any kid who is able to get ahold of his parent's
gun and blow his (or someone else's) head off should have his parent
hauled off to jail and charged directly with the murder.  That's just
plain bad parenting.

--
-TiM
NB, CA