 Off-Topic / Debate / 8501
Re: My Gun Control Rant
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Sun, 7 Jan 2001 10:11:11 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Tom Stangl writes:
Paul Baulch wrote:

Tim Culberson wrote in message <3A55160C.9A731E80@yahoo.com>...

Well...as of a couple days ago if you own guns and live in Canada and
didn't apply for a liscence (for the guns you already own of course) you
are now a criminal subject to fines or jail time.  In 2 years if you are
still a law-abiding citizen and you haven't registered each and every
firearm that you own then you own prohibited property in Canada.

<opinion>
Good! Guns are freaking dangerous and the more that have their ownership
known, and the less that get owned, the better!
</opinion>

<opinion>
So I guess that means you want to register bows, arrows, slingshots, BB guns,
pens, pencils, screwdrivers, baseball bats, golf clubs, mixing spoons, sticks,
branches, etc, etc, etc...

After all, these are all dangerous too - you can beat someone's head into the
sidewalk and kill them quite effectively too.  Should we register sidewalks?
</opinion>

To my mind the difference is that pens, pencils, screwdrivers, baseball bats
etc have a primary purpose which does not involve maiming or death. I would
trust a six year old with a pencil. If you want to own a machine that is
explicitly designed to kill someone, I think you should have to register it.
What about cars? Much more useful than guns, although just as dangerous, and
we don't mind registering them.

Anyone with the least bit of sense who has seriously thought about this
law realizes that it is useless in all aspects and will do absolutely
nothing AT ALL towards it's official mandate - to reduce crimes commited
with firearms.

It's obviously going to reduce legal sales of firearms, which obviously
reduces the number of firearms overall, which obviously reduces the number
of gun-related crimes - gee, that line of reasoning was, well, obvious. ;-)
How much sense were you exercising?

Where is it obvious that LEGAL gun sales are directly tied to ILLEGAL
gun-related crimes?  Not many criminals buy a gun legally and register it - >that would be rather stupid, don't you think?

But if you reduce the total number of guns in the community then both the
legal and illegal gun markets will shrink. It also makes it less likely that
kids will blow their heads off when they find a gun in their dad's cupboard.

--DaveL