 Off-Topic / Debate / 8593
Re: Family values?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Mon, 8 Jan 2001 22:27:06 GMT

It sounds like you are saying that the crux of the moral status of marriage
comes from: fidelity, duty, and commitment.  How does fidelity work in a
culture which accepts polygamous marriage as the norm?  Is the marriage moral
as long as the man is only having sex with his wives?

The crux of marriage is indeed fidelity, duty, and commitment...but fidelity,
duty and commitment are not owed by the betrothed merely to oneanother, but also
to the moral absolutes which have pressing claim on their conduct.  If you do
not recognize that certain moral absolutes objectively exist, then I suggest
that we can go no further in this discourse, for our presuppositions can offer
us no real common ground in this regard.

I'd offer that a polygamous society is closer to Truth in regards the marriage
principle than a culture that practices wanton promiscuity.

Here's my deal:  If you agree when you are married that you won't sleep around,
then it's bad to break that oath.  If you agree with your spouse that you will
have a more open relationship (at the time of marriage, or later) and then you
pursue such relationships, it is not bad.  Lying to people that you love is
immoral.  The sex just doesn't enter into the morality of things.

I suppose that we're just going in circles now, but I just do not understand
(and I mean this with no offense intended) why you feel that it is coherent to
separate sex from the moral sphere when you aknowledge that other human
endeavors are culpable to moral principles.  If there are no absolute standards
by which actions can be rightly compared and judged, then you can in fact call
nothing at all "bad."

james