 Off-Topic / Debate / 8495
Re: Family values?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Sat, 6 Jan 2001 21:44:07 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, James Simpson writes:

- yet morality demands that the marriage contract (however a society chooses • to
express it [within reasonable bounds]) be honored with fidelity.  The marriage
concept does indeed have many incarnations; my argument, however, is not with
the particulars but with the principles.  Indeed, marriage is really a type of
oath of faithfullness that is expressed in the contexts of romantic love;
marriage as such is not really the heart of the matter - rather, • faithfullness,
duty, and commitment are the real absolutes, and marriage is the incarnation
in human society.

It sounds like you are saying that the crux of the moral status of marriage
comes from: fidelity, duty, and commitment.  How does fidelity work in a
culture which accepts polygamous marriage as the norm?  Is the marriage moral
as long as the man is only having sex with his wives?

Here's my deal:  If you agree when you are married that you won't sleep around,
then it's bad to break that oath.  If you agree with your spouse that you will
have a more open relationship (at the time of marriage, or later) and then you
pursue such relationships, it is not bad.  Lying to people that you love is
immoral.  The sex just doesn't enter into the morality of things.

Chris