 Off-Topic / Debate / 8462
Re: Family values?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Thu, 4 Jan 2001 22:33:53 GMT

"Steve Thomas" <steve_thomas_2000_no_spam_please@hotmail.com> wrote in
message news:G6nK8M.5ny@lugnet.com...

As to the contingent effects, I do think one should be held accountable • for
damages (morally, if not legally) to other persons based on what we know
(informed consent, right?) of the consequences of sex.  We do this already
with drunk drivers; we take their recklessness into account in considering
the harm they bring about.  Or, if I bat a ball through a window - even by
mistake - I take responsibility for it.  Why not with decisions regarding
sexuality?  That being said, I think the case may well be stronger if the
initial action is wrong in itself.  For example, if a man A tries to kill
man B with a knife but accidentally ends up killing B's 3 year-old • daughter
(which was unintended).  That seems different to me than if A was cutting
bread at B's house for dinner, and the knife slipped, and athe child was
killed.

I'll add that if the consequence and the initial action are teleologically
related (as are sex and procreation), then the case against the initial
action should be even stronger than the knife illustration I gave above, in
which the relationship between the knife and the child's death is
accidental, rather than necessary.

Steve