 Off-Topic / Debate / 8472
Re: Family values?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Fri, 5 Jan 2001 19:03:12 GMT

Maggie Cambron wrote:

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Maggie Cambron writes:
In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Tom Stangl writes:
Blood boiling because the "fathers" rightly think they owe nothing, or that
the courts still force them to pay?

Or blood boiling because these fathers find it so easy to suddenly detach
themselves from children they've thought of as their own for years with • little
regard for their emotional and financial well-being?

At the same time, though, what if the alleged father has biological
children of his own, and the financial burden of providing for someone
else's child has an adverse impact on the man's own children?

Maybe he shouldn't plant the seed if he can't tend the garden.

This statement....

No really, the
same could be said for the biological father of the child in question.  He may
not even know he is the father to this child and may have a family of his own.
Is it fair to him and his family to suddenly have to support someone he
certainly never bonded with and probably didn't even know existed, particularly
when another man has taken on the role of father since birth and when the child
would think of him as a stranger anyway?

And this statement...

Conflict.  So you're saying the NON-biological father SHOULD support the child,
strictly from a legal marriage contract (that generally assumes fidelity), he
should support them because he's been "planting" in his wife, yet the BIOLOGICAL
father, who's been planting OUTSIDE of his marriage (or within another's) should
NOT be responsible?

That's the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard.  You're saying that infidelity
should be rewarded over fidelity.

You refer to these men as "these fathers," but in fact they are not.

Biologically no, but legally, and to me in fact, yes.  Otherwise an adoptive
father wouldn't be a father, would he?

Legally for another's child?  I don't THINK so!  If you marry someone that already
has children, you aren't forced to support them unless you adopt, so why should it
matter if those children fathered by OTHERS were born before/during/after the
marriage?

I believe that the majority of cases involve no deception, but for the sake of
argument, what recourse does a man have to prevent any woman with whom he's
had relations from assigning him the duties of fatherhood?  Is this truly
better for the children--that someone be duped into acting as a father?

I agree with you that that kind of deception is detrimental to both children
and father.  So I have to say I support the current law in Ohio which gives the
father a year to determine paternity and be absolved from responsibility.

Why should it be limited to a year?  That just encourages women to be liars for 366
days.  That law encourages deception.

But
I think that if the father foregoes a paternity test and commits to the
relationship, then it is grossly unfair to the child for him to try to back out
of his paternal obligation years later, even if it becomes obvious (as in the
case in which the father couldn't possibly have sired the child with cystic
fibrosis) that he is not the biological father.

Amazing that you can think this.  Stripping the rights of men for no good reason.