 Off-Topic / Debate / 6204
Re: Violence in comics (was Re: A General Question About Castle World)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Tue, 25 Jul 2000 13:46:54 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Eric Joslin writes:

Heh.  I still haven't seen Roger Corman's "Fantastic Four" movie, but I
really
want to.  Supposedly it's just about the worst superhero movie ever!

Was that ever released?  I saw some production notes a few years ago, and it
looked terrible!

Not officially- not even on video!  I have seen some stills (one SGI
developer's kit had a shot of the Human Torch using a fireblast to deflect some
sort of beam, and there was at least one other) but that's all.  I have talked
to a lot of people that have seen it, though.  As a fan of both comics and
Roger Corman, I *really* want to see it.  Apparently, bootleg copies aren't too
hard to find.

I think any crossover between comic titles on the big screen would be risky,
especially considering the fragile state of superhero films and the dreadful
track record Marvel has had so far (such as the Hulk meets Daredevil/Hulk
meets Thor garbage on TV a few years ago).

True, but I think the main problem most of those had is that they inserted a
new character into an established series formula- and an established budget!
When you only have $X per episode, and that money is usually used to cover a
few guest star actors and maybe some cars for the Hulk to flip, trying to work
out Thor's costume, Mjolnir, lightning and flight SFX, *and* the extra royalty
money is going to be a problem.  A big-budget screen production that starts out
with another hero in the plans might be better off, though.

eric