 Castle / 5551
Re: A General Question About Castle World
Newsgroups:
lugnet.castle
Date:
Mon, 24 Jul 2000 13:47:50 GMT

Well, I'm gonna pop in from my recent abscence and probably recede back... (I
guess you could say I've been 'out sick', since I was diagnosed with diabetes
two weeks ago. I was in the hospital for a little while, and a lot's been
going on)

Next I'll say Concord, MA is terrible for internet. The only company we could
find who could set us up a dedicated line (other than a T1, which is
drastically out of our price range, or a dial-in which, well, sucks) has taken
8.5 weeks (they "guaranteed" 4 to 6 weeks for installation) and still no
internet. Side note: Anyone else ever deal with Zyan? They seem to completely
not care about giving us internet at all-- very bad customer service... (FUT
off-topic.geek)

But despite lack of internet, I've recently been able to install MySQL
(database stuff for the non-geeks) on my computer, so an automated CW system
is a couple weeks away from being ready for testing... Whether my server will
be up and running on the internet is another matter (sigh). If it takes too
long, I may just upload everything to the current server we've got running,
and it'll just be a very slow site (sigh yet again).

Anyway, on to the meat:

- Custodian/Historian/Overlord/etc.
I've basically set up a system that can be maintained via the web. Most if not
all administrative functions (short of bugs in the code) will be able to be
dealt with on a web-interface. Why? Mainly because I don't want to be the only
one admining the system-- this way I can set up other Admins who will be able
to share the responsibilities of admitting new members, fixing problems, etc.
But the majority of the tasks will be automated (yay!)

- Realms/Maps/Kingdoms/etc.
Here was my thought: Back when CW was still majorly under the thought process,
there was a LOT of debate over placement, scale, space allocation, etc, etc.
Nobody could reach a consensus on many of the rules.  My own thought, then,
was to have members have the OPTION to have their OWN kingdom(s)/map(s).
Hence, people can create their own worlds if they aren't satisfied with the
existing ones, AND have the option to restrict who else can join in on their
areas. Members could even create new areas open to the general public (the
general public being all other CW members). Members can specify the image they
use for the map, the scale of the map, who can place things on their map,
the 'genre' of the map (ninja/european/fantasy/other), what other maps border
it, etc, etc. It was my hope that this would solve most potential conflicts.

- Color Scheme/HTML layout
There's been some discussion on this as of late, so I'll comment on it-- I
haven't read every message in the thread, and I don't know if there was any
general decision that was reached... So I'll just go ahead and say what I've
GOT for a layout...

Color: Currently, it's similar to Pawel's 2nd layout for Castle World. It's
got Todd's brick background (tan color) with headers in purple font, and
regular text in black font (table backgrounds are two shades of tan)

Layout: No frames, but there are links down the left hand side of the page
that go to the major areas of Castle World (structures page, members page,
characters page, home, etc.) On top of those is the CW 'logo' with the dragon
flag on a lance... On the right side of the page is the main content, with a
purple menu bar at the top specifying the current page, below which is the
content for the page. Since it's generated HTML, and it's all from the same
code, it's fairly easy to change, but I think at present I'm pretty happy with
the layout. Chances are I'll release it "as-is" for beta testing and see
people's reactions-- if people still want to change it, I'll be open to
suggestions...

Anyway, I think that's it for now... And if there are any majik users out
there, MAKE ZYAN CONNECT ME NOW!

DaveE

(FUT lugnet.castle.org.cw)