 Off-Topic / Debate / 6193
Re: Violence in comics (was Re: A General Question About Castle World)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Mon, 24 Jul 2000 19:58:44 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Andrew Krug writes:

While I hate to continue this discussion on Comic Books here, for lack of
anywhere else to go I will.

That's what lugnet.off-topic.debate is for. :D

I am well aware that Captain America is
hardly "non-violent", yet I can also say that in the many years I've been
reading his comics I can think of maybe 1 or 2 times he has actually killed
anyone!  He usually avoids extreme violence (aka. DEATH) whenever he can and
usually goes to great pains to make sure he doesn't kill anyone (often hurting
himself and his cause).

Ah.  Well, ok, that is very different from "non-violent".

Even so, there are certainly comics that *are* very violent (see Garth Ennis'
current 12-part Punisher storyline)- but they actually seem to be few and far
between now.  I know there was a period when it was all the rage, but after
reading a long run of Wolverine (I started when Erik Larsen took over writing)
I have seen very few *deaths*.  And Wolverine is often touted as being
uber-violent.

Of course, that is very different from a Captain America or a Batman or a
Superman, who goes out of their way to *avoid* killing someone, where they make
it an issue that they are avoiding lethality.

I think most kids today (read that teens or whatever
age comic book buyers usually are) think that is just a little too quaint and
not very exciting.

Actually, there has been a bit of a backslide recently.  Dark, brooding
characters (not necessarily violent- one can be a cheerful homicidal maniac or
a brooding peacenik) were all the rage for a while, but not so much anymore.

All the American Flag, Mom, and Apple Pie stuff in the
Captain Amercia comics just doesn't seem as appealing to kids as some dark
brooding hero with lots of physcological problems (like Wolverine).  That's
not to say that those comics are bad, just not my cup of tea.

And, of course, your opinion is perfectly valid and you're entitled to it.  I
happen to just like well-written books, whether they involve brooding
characters or happy ones.  I know that Cap is being written by, um, is it
Busiek or Waid right now?- and that has tempted me to buy it (I like both
writers, I just can't keep straight the books they write that I'm not reading).
The "apple pie" angle can certainly be written in a very intriguing style,
although I think it can be badly hacked and trite.

Of course, I also beleive that characters like the Punisher can be written in a
totally unreadable style.  It's difficult to make a man with an M-16
interesting month after month.

I'm also not saying that comics shouldn't be violent, but my idea of violence
is more like punching, wrestling, and good hand to hand fighting, not Punisher
style shoot everyone in sight.

There are many people who would readily agree with you.  The Punisher's move
from Spiderman *villian* to popular antihero was the beginning of a really
weird age for comics- one that saw characters like Cable, etc.  There are
plenty of people who would agree that they are *not* superheroes- and I
actually agree wholeheartedly.

I just think with all the violence in the
world today comic books could probably afford to be a little more creative in
how they use their violence considering kids are supposed to be the major
readers of comic books (although I suppose you and I are proof that isn't
always the case).

Heh.  Yeah, actually, I think that most comic companies now actively peg males
age 12-25 as their main targets (and I think we both fall outside those
bounds).  I can't remember the last time I saw a kid in my favorite comic store
buying *comics* as opposed to Pokemon cards. :D

As an Army Officer I certainly have no problem with
violence when needed but as a father I don't know how much of that we need to
expose our kids to when not necessary.  Just one guy's point of view though.

Well, I certainly agree that parents should keep a close eye on kids to be sure
that they understand the difference between fantasy and reality- and, of
course, there are themes that aren't appropriate for certain ages.

I haven't seen any of the Kingdom Come stuff yet, perhaps I'll have to check
it out.

I think if you read it as an allegory for what happened in the field of
superhero characters- as well as just a really cool story with amazing artwork-
you'll really enjoy it, based on what you've expressed here.  It should be
available as a collection in a specialty shop.  Even if it's in hardback, it's
worth it- trust me. :D

Thanks for your thoughts.

And thanks for yours!

eric