 Castle / 5538
Re: A General Question About Castle World
Newsgroups:
lugnet.castle
Date:
Sun, 23 Jul 2000 18:13:50 GMT

In lugnet.castle, Kyle Peterson writes:
Actually, I think Andrew has some valid points.

It seems as though that to make a project like CW work smoothly, there needs
to be a single "caretaker".

I lke the idea of Dave E. developing an automated submission to CW
program...but, obviously there needs to be an active "librarian",
"historian", or "benevolent god" to oversee progress and address any issues
regarding propriety, expansion,maps, etc.

Second, there needs to be an "existing" city, or countryside to add onto.

Well, If I recall correctly, there was a variety of countries/continents set
up and 2 realms apportioned to each balladeer, initially.

CW is so much bigger than a city...there are homes located in numerous towns
+ cities, governed by states belonging to nations, who have alliances w/
other countries, etc....all forming a huge world.

In my daily life, it is highly unlikely that I will travel to China,
interact w/ its citizens, and influence the events of that country (except
for the internet = )
However, that is a personal choice, for the moment.  Theoretically, I could
alter that paradigm.

Essentially, CW allows members to interact if they wish...or maintain
autonomy.  CW is no more one central city or place, than the real (non-ABS)
world.

Now Shiri brings up a good point that since its being conveyed over the
computer, buildings and characters can be fibbed, that is, you can say that
you have an army of 200 skeletons, when in actuality, you may only have 4. Or
your town can have a church...without there really being a physical church.

That is a tremendous advantage, in my opinion...for the moment,my supposedly
superior in number " vile evil meanies" are out numbered more than 10 to 1
by the "good guys"...(kinda like the SW theme, the "superior" imperials are
vastly outmanned/outgunned by the "tiny" rebel alliance)

I will probably do a little "creative census figuring" in the future to
complete my stories...BUT when I say I have almost 1000 Samurai, Ninjas,
Ronin, etc....I mean it = )

My suggestion is for CastleWorld to be the domain for hosting smaller stories,
castles, and cities. This way, each person can have Autonomy for their own
city or "world" and can form alliances with other CW members by doing
crossovers and adventures...etc.

Again, if memory serves, this is the exact consensus reached after thousands
of posts months ago...Theoretically you could have lots of cities,nations,
factions,etc. all within your own realm...not constrained by rigid rules or
someone elses story.

The stories and structures are as modest or as monstrous as you make them
(my story may take 5 years to complete)

Speaking for myself, I would prefer to build up my own city. However, I would
love my city to be part of CastleWorld. Also, I would invite fellow castle
fanatics to be a part of my city. Perhaps they don't have the right bricks to
build a cool house, or castle, or lair. I would be willing to use my pieces to
help build them a blacksmith shop, or windmill as long as they were
the "sponsor". That is, they get to run the Blacksmith, or windmill, provide a
story for their character, and interact with the rest of the city.

Interesting point...this has the potential to broaden CW...I think your
suggestion would benefit Space or Town People, for instance,  who don't want
to cannbalize their other theme creations, or have "Castle" parts and access
to a digicam.

Kinda like the renaissance, when artists, painters, et al. had
patrons/sponsors who funded their endeavors or provided housing and supplies.

This way, somebody can be a part of a town, without having to build their own.

A valued suggestion!

The goal is to physically host the town in a single location, created by a
single "caretaker". The town is then "sponsored" out to LEGO castle
enthusiasts. Stories and news are written by the individuals, given to the
caretaker, who posts them on the website (town crier?).

I think your idea/format offers possibilities...BUT, I think if this is
something you want to do through your site, you might want to work-up some
examples for others to follow.

An interesting world within a world...CW has become a viable, near sentient
entity now...it may grow in ways no one ever imagined.

I'm sure many will disagree, but nobody will know if it works unless someone
tries it. CastleWorld is a great start. I'd also be willing to try this with
my town if anyone is interested.
www.trizeta.com coming soon.

-Kyle

I think you have a great start!

                       John
(who has trouble finishing every MOC he starts)