 Off-Topic / Debate / 6202
Re: Violence in comics (was Re: A General Question About Castle World)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Tue, 25 Jul 2000 12:55:11 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Andrew Krug writes:

You make some excellent points and are obviously a huge comic book fan (which
I commend).  Being rather new to LUGNET I wasn't sure where my follow up
message would be posted but it was nice that it ended up in this "off topic"
area.  This area seems more used than any other on LUGNET.

Yeah, this is the place for stuff like this.  I usually don't even read it, but
I'm willing to brave the wilds to talk about comics. :D

While I like the current Captain America writing and artwork (done by Jurgens,
Kubert, and Green) I almost gave up about a year or so ago during Rob
Liefeld's stint with both Cap and the Avengers.  Talk about some crappy art
work and storylines!!!! WOW!  Good thing Stan Lee got his head out of his butt
and came to his senses in time to fire Liefeld and save Captain America before
all his fans left in disgust.

Yeah.  Liefeld... I'm not a big fan of his work.  If I'm not mistaken, Liefeld
is also responsible for the character Cable, who embodies in a lot of ways what
was wrong with comics for a while there (he was supposed to be a mutant, but
favored a Big Gun instead of his powers).

Things have been much better since, although I
saw that Liefeld now has a Captain America like clone comic with some other
brand name (not Marvel or DC) and he looks just like the terrible Cap he drew
for Marvel with a slightly different color scheme.  Give me a break!

I know exactly the character ou're talking about, I just can't remember the
name- Fighting American, American Flagg, something like that.  I can even
picture the action figure they made of him... anyway, he was actually a revival
of a much older character that some people claim pre-dates Cap.  Of course, if
you have a character published for 4 or 5 years from 1938 to 1942 (these are
hypothetical numbers) and then you have Cap, who's essentially been around the
whole time (well, he was revived first in Avengers #4 anyway) it's pretty clear
who is the more established character.

In reference to one of your earlier comments about the Captain America movie I
must agree it was terrible.  There were actually two or three such movies and
they were all REALLY BAD!!

Heh.  I still haven't seen Roger Corman's "Fantastic Four" movie, but I really
want to.  Supposedly it's just about the worst superhero movie ever!

I think it was very tough to pull off a good (aka.
realistic) superhero movie or TV show and make it convincing (I sight
Superman, Wonder Woman TV Show, and the Incredible Hulk TV Show, Captain
America Movie, Punisher Movie, etc...).  After seeing X-Men however I think
that technology has finally caught up enough to make them downright
outstanding.

I'm in complete agreement there.  I'm not even a huge X-Men fan, and I've
already seen it twice and plan to see it again.

And the way the X-Men movie ended there is tons of room for
multiple sequals (is it too much to ask for perhaps a Captain America cameo
appearance in a future movie???).

That would be really cool- I've always loved the adamantium claws vs
adamantium-vibranium alloy sheild debate.  Unfortunately, there's little
reference to any kind of superhero community outside of mutants in "X-Men"...
although Jean Grey does know what adamantium is, which would imply that it did
exist before Wolverine- and Wolverine was created to be a Canadian
super-soldier in response to American and Russian super-soldiers... hmm....

I will need to check out Kingdom Come.  I've seen the Marvels line that
someone mentioned and thought it was pretty good.  As always I appreciate
everyones feedback and look forward to more discussion in the future.

I should probably warn you that it is a DC book, but that shouldn't stop you,
really!  When you do read it, let me know what you think. :D

eric