 Castle / 5558
Re: A General Question About Castle World
Newsgroups:
lugnet.castle
Date:
Mon, 24 Jul 2000 17:44:39 GMT

Hello Castle Dwellers

Well the amount of feedback I'm getting regarding my questions has been
impressive and once again thanks for all the input and discussion.  I haven't
figured out how to cut text from multipule messages in the string to add to
this message for reference so I had to do things the old fashioned way and
just print paper copies of all the messages and then try to refer to them as I
type (so if I miss some things please forgive me).

To start off I find Wolverine and the X-Men somewhat of a band-wagon comic.
As I mentioned I'm a Capatin America fan and he is not nearly as popular as
the mighty X-Men.  I find the X-Men comics a little too violent perhaps for my
liking in Comic books and what can I say I'm a patriot who enjoys seeing the
red, white, and blue.  The X-Men Movie was very well done however and they do
have an iteresting storyline. Perhaps I'm beginning to like them more.  It
just seems like young kids today don't like the old heros like Captain America
becuase they aren't dark and violent enough for the modern world.  Oh well....

While the idea of focusing on either an evil or good theme within a kingdom
and then working toward building large amounts of stuff and characters
centered on that one theme, I can understand the desire to have some of both
in each kingdom for the sake of self-contained storylines.  I have both good
and evil (and as Shiri noted neither of which is always absolute) now, but I'm
the kind of person who likes to build on a grand scale (which of course is
more or less grand depending on who you talk to) and would have no problem
picking a side (good or evil) and then trading away most of my mini-figs on
one side for an even number of figs on the other.  I do know however that
people tend to be protective of their private hoards of Legos (much as a
dragon is with his treasure) and don't like to think of giving any up
(regardless of how good the cause may seem).

Now one idea I've seen and really liked is the capital city idea.  This would
be a great central place for portals to other lands and interaction between
worlds.  With this idea in mind I imagine CW like this:

Imagine CW as a wheel.  In the center of the wheel you have the capital city
and perhaps a group generated world that is unified in general storyline and
yet built by multiple persons.  Perhaps this world could have several major
good and evil characters fighting for control.  Then from the Capital City you
have the embassy building that have portals (the spokes of the wheel) that
radiate toward individual people's realms.  It seems that in this way we could
have the best of all things neatly contained in the framework of CW!!!!  The
center of the wheel would be where the structures of CW exist along with lists
of creatures and characters, and then perhaps on the map of Castle World you
could put links at the end of each spoke that lead to the other sub-realms of
members individual websites (kind of like it is now on the Balladeer page).

I know when I first checked out CW I was confused by how it all tied
together.  It seemed more to me as a place to showcase individual structures
and people's characters with no thread of continuity.  That is not to say that
was bad if that was the purpose of CW but it left me wondering is that all it
was supposed to be.  It seems like if we use the wheel analogy we can make it
that and more.  Just don't ask me how to make it work on a computer from a
technology standpoint!!!!

In this way people that specialize in a singular force can be in the central
CW realm where they have the ability to interact with other singular force
folks and those who have worlds with all factions represented can have their
own world yet easily visit the central CW for crossover storylines.

I suppose I have some time to wait for this all to happen seeing as my
daughter still prefers to but my legos in her mouth rather than build with
them but I would like to get a storyline going in time to be able to entertain
her with my creativeness =)  Thanks again to Craig, Shiri, Chris, Kyle, John,
binky, and Matt for all your feedback, suggestions, and opinions.  My wife is
not an AFOL (I know there is some term for her but I can't remember the right
letter combination) and only at LUGNET can I find a haven for my Lego
ramblings.  Thanks and PLEASE PASS THE BRICKS!!!!!

Andy