 Off-Topic / Debate / 5964
Re: Star Wars on DVD
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Thu, 6 Jul 2000 21:35:41 GMT

???  They can charge whatever they want as long as the entire industry doesn't
collude to control those prices.

That is what they are doing.  Hence the artifical inflating prices statement.

Supply and demand.  On CDs, the price was
originally high because there were so few facilities that could actually make
them.  Once the production bottleneck was fixed, the recording companies • simply
decided that since everyone was already willing to pay that amount, they'd • just
leave prices there and pocket the extra (and eventually had to pay more to the
artists).  I cut way back on CDs because I feel they are overpriced.

Napster will soon be put out of business, IMHO.  It is nothing more than a
framework for music pirates.  I'm not going to steal a Porsche because it • costs
too much, and I'm not going to steal The Backstreet Boys music because their • CD
costs too much (not that I'd be caught dead with their stuff one way or the
other).

As i stated most artists make next to nothing off CD sales anyway.  This is the
reason most artists don't care, only the record industry.  By the way I don't
even use Napster but I do not belive it can or should be stopped.

FYI actual cost for a CD is about $0.15.  Most of that if in the metal
componet.  If anyone doesn't think the Lego Company could sell us peices at
$0.02 and still be making a huge profit they are delusional.
-Lord Insanity (who absolutely refueses to pay more than $10 a CD, $20 a • DVD,
or $0.10 a Lego piece)

I'm glad you know how to budget your money.

Admittedly it was a few years ago, but cost of getting a computer game
duplicated onto CD was about 50 cents.  Packaging, shipping, recording studio,
talent, support personnel, advertising, graphics and art, maintainence of all
the proceeding, etc. add a lot more.  Game prices did not come down, even
though the cost of a CD was little different from a 1.44 floppy, and you had a
lot more floppies.  Why?  Costs had gone way up, but prices hadn't reflected • it
(simply there was resistance to a price over $60, no matter how much it
actually cost to make the game).  CDs simply restored the balance in that
particular case.

Bruce

Blah Blah mass produced, I conceed just because I am tired of arguing it.  Same
for the way overpriced lego thing.  It is obvious to me that prices for CDs
Lego, etc. are inflated, but if the people are still going to buy the stuff at
inflated prices, then nothing will change.  Psydo-Supply and Demand

-Lord Insanity