 Off-Topic / Debate / 5976
Re: Star Wars on DVD
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Fri, 7 Jul 2000 06:37:23 GMT

Your ability to completely miss points continues to amaze me!

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Mike Petrucelli writes:

MP3 will lower CD prices a lot better than any smelly old government lawsuit
anyway... oh, and by the way, grease up for higher Windows prices if MS loses
on appeal.

ROTFLMAO

Windows is one of the worst programs to ever hit the PC.  The fact that it • took
off is testament to the blatant stupidity of the average consumer.  I would be
more than willing to spend twice as much on an OS that is reliable.  Oh wait,
Linex is cheaper than windows.

Two things:

1. What does this have to do with the argument? yes, Windows may not be
perfect, but it's what people use. The argument is that the government meddling
is going to cause the price of Windows (which millions of people use, and which
millions of people will be buying next year, no matter what your opinion of
their intelligence, thanks just the same for your insightful comments...) to go
UP not down.

2. Tried using Linux in a corporate environment, or selling it into one as a
part of a solution for desktop use? Linux is a great OS, technically good, and
the way that it came about is very neat. It has its place, and that place is
expanding. (OS/390 has a place, and a lot of other systems do too, mind you).

The desktop of Joe knowledge worker who just wants to run word and excel and
maybe a little powerpoint to present slides to his boss, as well as the
corporate apps his IT department just built, and a little 3270 emulation to get
to the crufty old legacy stuff, is NOT that place. Not yet. Maybe never. No
matter how smug you are about it.

Get a grip on what's being argued here, ok? Let's review. You're foaming about
how all the CD and DVD makers are charging more than you want to pay and that
it's somehow NOT FAIR and ILLEGAL, and the rest of us are patiently trying to
explain the basic tenets of a market economy because either you didn't pay
attention in class, or haven't had it yet, or you're delusional.

-Lord Insanity

(can someone please explain to me why I'm arguing with a guy whose handle
implies he relishes that he's out of touch with reality???)

++Lar