 Off-Topic / Debate / 5959
Re: Star Wars on DVD
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Thu, 6 Jul 2000 15:48:10 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Mike Petrucelli writes:

CDs were designed by the record industry as a cheaper alternative to records.
(FYI CD-Rs were originally on the first cd players but were not allowed to be
imported into the USA untill the past few years.)

Actually, to my knowledge, CDs were not designed by the record industry, they
were designed by Philips, and they were not designed to hold just music, but
that happened to be a good use for them.

Fortunatly the Record Industry will be gone in a few years thanks to MP3s.
Artist will still make most of their money by touring, as they do now.  The
middle man is simply being phased out, much to the delight of millions of
customers.

-Lord Insanity

I really don't see that the record industry will be gone, I just think it will
adapt.  Furthermore, MP3s, while an excellent format in my opinion, haven't
taken off like they should.  Now we are finally getting some car MP3 players
and some decent portables (the kind that play burned CDs, not the 4-song RIO
crap,) but you have to know where to get these things, you can't just walk
into a Best Buy or a Circuit City and pick one up (yet.)  Personally, I like
MP3s for two reasons:

    1) I can store all of my CD collection on just a couple of discs, I don't
       have to lug around all of my discs.

    2) I can get all of the old 60s, 70s, and 80s songs that I love and that
       cannot be found on CD

I own a portable MP3-CD player.  Each disc holds about 200 songs.  It's great,
but I really don't see the record industry dieing because of it.  I still buy
CDs from time to time, even though I rip the songs to MP3.  I think in the
future CDs will come with two sections, a section with the CD tracks, and a
data section with the MP3s.  At least, that's what I hope... it would save me
from having to RIP... :)

-Bryan