 Off-Topic / Debate / 5968
Re: Star Wars on DVD
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Thu, 6 Jul 2000 22:29:22 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Mike Petrucelli writes:

Windows is one of the worst programs to ever hit the PC.  The fact that it
took off is testament to the blatant stupidity of the average consumer.  I
would be more than willing to spend twice as much on an OS that is reliable.

  Worst in what way?  Popularity?  Identifiability? Public recognition? Its
near-iconic status in the computer industry?  My Windows usage primarily
involves word processing, personal finance, the web, and low-key graphics
applications.  Since Windows works to my satisfaction in these arenas, why on
earth should I care whether or not some other system is more reliable?  While
I understand your beef that Windows is not, from a technical standpoint, all
that it could be, it more than meets my requirements, as well as, I suspect,
the vast majority of its users.  If it ain't broke, don't fix it; Windows
works fine for my needs, so why not continue to use it.

Oh wait, Linex is cheaper than windows.

  If you're going to castigate one system, you should attempt to be scrupulous
in your methods of espousing another, for instance.  Speaking as an average
consumer, whom you've now gone out of your way to insult, Windows works just
fine for the tasks I give it.
  For all the tech-savvy out there, I'm not praising Windows at the expense of
Linux or any other OS; I'm simply stating that for many average consumers,
stupid (sic) and otherwise, Windows is adequate for the demands made of it.

     Dave!