 Off-Topic / Debate / 5909
Re: Star Wars on DVD
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Thu, 29 Jun 2000 17:05:33 GMT

In lugnet.starwars, Bryan Hodges writes:
In lugnet.starwars, Chris Norman writes:
First off, there was an announcement about a month ago, saying that
Lucasfilm had finally felt the pressure from the fans and were going to
start work on the trilogy DVD  and EP1 DVD.

Wow... I hope so.

If you are waiting to buy a DVD... all I can say is WHY? If you watch a lot
of movies, you are missing a LOT when viewing them on VHS. Granted, in order
to get the full effect of a DVD player you NEED to have a receiver that does
Dolby Digital playback. But Sony has a HomeTheater in a Box that includes a
DVD and it is like $699 (check out this monthes issue of HomeTheater
Magazine.)

IMO DVD is cool technology, but I won't a player until it becomes neccesary
(ie: VHS dies.)  The reason is DVD movies typically cost $5-$10 more than VHS,

I refuse to pay that myself because DVDs are cheaper to make.  I only buy them
when they are $15-$20, same as a VHS.

and I don't see much difference in visual quality.  My former roomate had a
complete setup, with a big screen TV and a Dolby Digitial capable reciever,
but aside from the quality of the surround sound I didn't notice any
difference between DVD and VHS films.

The true difference can not be seen unless you have a High Definition TV.  The
picture and sound of a DVD is far superior to a VHS.

It can be said that DVDs are like audio
CDs were so many years ago, which is true.  You can skip between scenes like
tracks and you don't need to fast forward or rewind.  However, unlike most
audio tracks, movie scenes are meant to be watched in a certain sequence,
which makes skipping between scenes more of a "nice thing" instead of a
neccesity.

No rewinding either.

The other obvious bonus to DVDs is they don't wear out as easily as VHS tapes
do.  But who watches a movie more than once in a while?  (other than the SW
films... :)  I have VHS tapes that I've had for over 10 years that are just
now starting to wear out.

DVDs like CDs don't wear out at all if you take care with them.

They're all movies I don't watch anymore (except on
occasion.)  Plus, with the advent of MP4 and other video codecs, the computer
is becoming a more likely source of future movie watching.  IMO CDs and DVDs
will die, replaced by ROM "sticks" with MP3s or MP4s.  I think this will occur
before 2005 which is the earliest "official" estimate I've heard from
Lucasfilm about the release of the SW DVDs.  However, if they come out before
then, or VHS dies, I will step up and buy a DVD setup.

Actually MP4 will likely go on HD-DVDs or FMDs  FMD discs won't be in
production for quite awhile so don't put off any purchases because of it.  They
are supposed to hold upwards of 140GB though.

I know, buying this set up would mean less Lego purchases, but, you may
never want to go to the movies again, with a decent HT system in your house!

Chris

Sorry for the continuation of the off topic post.

Now, hopefully replies will be redirected to lugnet.off-topic... :)

-Bryan