 Off-Topic / Debate / 5914
Re: Star Wars on DVD
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Sat, 1 Jul 2000 14:08:21 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Patrick Baumgardner writes:
In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Mike Petrucelli writes:
In lugnet.starwars, Bryan Hodges writes:
In lugnet.starwars, Chris Norman writes:
First off, there was an announcement about a month ago, saying that
Lucasfilm had finally felt the pressure from the fans and were going to
start work on the trilogy DVD  and EP1 DVD.

Wow... I hope so.

If you are waiting to buy a DVD... all I can say is WHY? If you watch a lot
of movies, you are missing a LOT when viewing them on VHS. Granted, in • order
to get the full effect of a DVD player you NEED to have a receiver that • does
Dolby Digital playback. But Sony has a HomeTheater in a Box that includes a
DVD and it is like $699 (check out this monthes issue of HomeTheater
Magazine.) • $599 check around
IMO DVD is cool technology, but I won't get a player until it becomes • neccesary
(ie: VHS dies.)  The reason is DVD movies typically cost $5-$10 more than • VHS,

I refuse to pay that myself because DVDs are cheaper to make.  I only buy • them
when they are $15-$20, same as a VHS.

and I don't see much difference in visual quality.  My former roomate had a
complete setup, with a big screen TV and a Dolby Digitial capable reciever,
but aside from the quality of the surround sound I didn't notice any
difference between DVD and VHS films.
If you can't see the difference on an NTSC TV you should have your eyes
examined!

If you have a good VCR (a SuperVHS for example) they picture is the same, as
DVD must be forced to NTSC.

The true difference can not be seen unless you have a High Definition TV. • The
picture and sound of a DVD is far superior to a VHS.
DVD's that are released currently are for NTSC format. Viewing them on an HDTV
will make no difference at all. In fact an HDTV with a below par line doubler
will make the picture look even worse.

While there are some DVD's that are NTSC by default any disc that is Digitally
Mastered is meant for HD-TVs.  I know this for a fact because when I play a
Digitally Mastered DVD on my computer I have to maually select "Force output to
NTSC" in order to send it to my TV.  Usually if the package says "Enhanced for
Widescreen TVs" (or any variant thereof) it is meant to be displayed on a
HD-TV.

It can be said that DVDs are like audio
CDs were so many years ago, which is true.  You can skip between scenes like
tracks and you don't need to fast forward or rewind.  However, unlike most
audio tracks, movie scenes are meant to be watched in a certain sequence,
which makes skipping between scenes more of a "nice thing" instead of a
neccesity.

No rewinding either.

The other obvious bonus to DVDs is they don't wear out as easily as VHS • tapes
do.  But who watches a movie more than once in a while?  (other than the SW
films... :)  I have VHS tapes that I've had for over 10 years that are just
now starting to wear out.
Another bonus is most DVD's offer behind the scene footage, deleted scenes,
original trailers, different audio languages, CC, video's, free games for your
computer(if you have a DVD-ROM) and some give you pan and scan and
widescreene. DVD's cost more because you generally get more value. Unless you
only like to watch the movie in pan and scan and Pro-Logic Surround, then by
all means stay with ancient tech. If you want to feel like you are in the
movie step up to DVD and Dolby Digital.

I firmly belive that all of that stuff is just a gimick to cover up the fact
that they are inflating the price.  (CDs were designed by the record industry
to be a cheaper alternative to records.  So far that has not come to pass due
to market manipulation.  If this is ever proven in court, heads would roll.
DVDs were meant to be a cheaper replacement for VHS.)

-Lord Insanity