 Off-Topic / Debate / 5917
Re: Star Wars on DVD
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Sat, 1 Jul 2000 15:44:27 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Mike Petrucelli writes:

I refuse to pay that myself because DVDs are cheaper to make.  I only buy them
when they are $15-$20, same as a VHS.

  Perhaps the biggest benefit of DVD outside of the picture/audio quality is
the additional material you get on the better discs.  I'm not talking about the
extra 9 minutes of awful footage from that awful ID4 movie, but the commentary
from directors, actors, cinematographers, and designers such as you get on
Yellow Submarine or Saving Private Ryan. Further, you can opt to listen to the
film in a variety of languages/subtitles, which is admittedly something of a
novelty, but it's still cool.
  What burns me isn't the price of DVDs, but rather the price of CDs.  If DVDs
are in fact cheaper to make than VHS, then CDs should certainly be cheaper
still.  Not to mention the fact that the technology is decades old and has
still shown little sign of price reduction.  Shopping recently, I was stunned
that national chains sell CDs released years ago at the same price as current
top tens, such as (to pick one at random) an Ugly Kid Joe disc for 17.99!
That's criminal! Artistic conceits aside, the disc is 7 or 8 years old--what is
the justification for selling it at such a price, other than the knowledge that
credulous buyers might accidently purchase the disc for that much? Certainly
all production costs were met years ago, and the compensation for such a lofty
artistic expression can likewise be argued to be satisfied.
  On the other hand, CD-Roms have come down nicely in price with the onset of
DVD, so one can hope a similar pricing windfall might be in the works for the
discs themselves, but probably not.

     Dave!