 Off-Topic / Debate / 5984
Re: Star Wars on DVD
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Fri, 7 Jul 2000 12:37:02 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Mike Petrucelli writes:
They can charge whatever they want as long as the entire industry doesn't
collude to control those prices.

That is what they are doing.  Hence the artifical inflating prices statement.

You're misunderstanding the nature of collusion; you and I aren't colluding
to post to Lugnet, but we're both doing it.  Likewise the recording industry
isn't conspiring to keep CD prices high, but prices are high nonetheless.

I think I did read something about CDs being marketed by about 5 or so
companies, and the did have agreements in place to sell CDs at certain prices.

Dave, have you been to a National Record Mart since you've been out here in
Pittsburgh?  CDs there typically cost $18, whereas at Best Buy they cost $13
for an identical CD (I believe Wal-Mart sells CDs as well, but won't carry CDs
with the "parental advisory" label...since most CDs I buy have this label I
never go there).

Anyhow, these prices are probably typical to any market.  From what I remember
from the article (in www.post-gazette.com, one of the local PGH newspapers),
Best Buy was only allowed to sell CDs at these prices if they were willing to
make certain concessions regarding how they advertised and marketed the CDs
(for example, I don't think I have ever seen a particular CD being advertised
in Best Buy's ads, but NRM can advertise all it wants).  I believe the lawsuit
is related to this.

I guess if you watch "Behind the Music" on VH1 (which definitely leans towards
the side of the artist), it seems the artists don't make much money from each
CD sold, but often have a steady stream of income during the time they are not
popular (studio time, housing expenses, etc.).  The costs of producing the CD
is certainly not very much, but the costs of producing that music can be.

I believe the article stated that even if the lawsuit were successful, the
prices of CDs would only drop one or two dollars.  If you want to get CDs for a
buck or two less than Best Buy, go to www.buy.com.

Psydo-Supply and Demand

Eh?

I believe he means "Pseudo".  I don't really think this is the case though.  If
it really were some far reaching conspiracy, no doubt the mob would be involved
:-).

Toki