 Off-Topic / Debate / 5958
Re: Dear mr lucas...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.starwars, lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Thu, 6 Jul 2000 15:36:47 GMT

In lugnet.starwars, Bryan Hodges writes:
I agree on the race issue, however Lego has made some "people" of different
ethnicities.  There's a "black" duplo guy.  I've also seen, on more than one
occasion, a "large minifig" built out of regular Lego bricks, by Lego
employees, that was "black."  It's a double standard.

First off, the duplo-figs are different than the minifigs. They are not
portrayed as yellow at all, only 'white' or 'black'.
OTOH, there aren't any black *mini*figs. True, TLC created one (1! just one!)
red minifig, but that was over 20 years ago and they havent done that since.

I've always seen yellow faced minifigs as "white."  Maybe this is because I'm
white, but they just seem like white folk to me.

Really? I don't recall ever thinking of the yellow minifigs as anything but
yellow. Even, or maybe especially, as a kid - they weren't associated with any
color to me. Just yellow.

I'd like to see some
minifigs of other colors.  They don't have to be "black," maybe Lego could use
a darker shade of yellow or something...

I don't see why - in LEGO-world, just right now (until TLC confirms this one
way or another) it seems that *everyone* is yellow.

Also, you're right, color doesn't matter.  However, humans are different
colors, and to ignore this fact by making the figures in a childs toy all one
color is somewhat racist.  Looking at minifigs kids are bound to associate
them with their own "race," excluding all other "races."

Children have very simple minds. They wouldn't neccessarily relate it with ANY
color - they would probably not even think of it.

(speaking of "race," I'd rather not.  I'd prefer to just sit back and watch.
I could never run very fast anyway.)

Hehe :-)
After last time... well...
To be on the safe side, I'm XFUT'ing to .o-t.debate...

-Shiri