 Star Wars / 8202
Re: Dear mr lucas...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.starwars
Date:
Wed, 5 Jul 2000 21:38:56 GMT

I would like to ask everyone a question. When was the last time you saw a
yellow human being? I have seen some WHITE white people, and some very dark
black people (yes black, because everyone who is black is not African
American), but I have never EVER seen a person who was even CLOSE to being
as yellow as a mini-fig is. So, how is this a race issue? Why would it cause
such an uproar if TLG brought out a Lando that had a yellow face? It is not
really supposed to represent lando (like a Hasbro action figure would),
because he would be the same height as Luke, Leia, Han and Vader, and the
last time I looked, they were all different heights in the movies. It is
pretend!!! Minifigs do not even have fingers, or knees, or ears... but you
want them to be black or white????

So let the little yellow guys/gals be. They are happy being brought to life
by children's imagination, and not forced into the morass that is or is not
political correctness.

Repeat after me...they are just toys, they are just toys, they are just
toys.

Chris

From: "David Simmons" <alienbuz@concentric.net>
Date: Wed, 5 Jul 2000 18:18:48 GMT
To: lugnet.starwars@lugnet.com
Subject: Re: Dear mr lucas...

If they've been able to avoid with the number of sets from all four films up
to this point without including an African-American or otherwise ethnic
minifig and still have the enormous success these sets have had, I don't see
them taking any risks and screwing with something that works very well for
them financially.  "If it ain't broke, don't fix it."  You've got to look at
their bottom line from their perspective.

BTW, I would love to see TLG make a change in this area, but as long as they
don't I say, "make your own!"

Dave

Jonathan Wilson <jonwil@tpgi.com.au> wrote in message
...Please put a dark skinned actor in an important role in episode 2,
then TLG wont be able to avoid the race question.