 Star Wars / 8218
Re: Dear mr lucas...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.starwars
Date:
Thu, 6 Jul 2000 19:19:54 GMT

I agree on the race issue, however Lego has made some "people" of different
ethnicities.  There's a "black" duplo guy.  I've also seen, on more than one
occasion, a "large minifig" built out of regular Lego bricks, by Lego
employees, that was "black."  It's a double standard.

It is a double standard because you choose to make it a double standard. I
see NO comparison to a 6 foot tall model of thousands of lego bricks, to a
mini-fig. In their Duplo line, they chose to make "races", but they have not
chosen to do so with the mini-figs.

I've always seen yellow faced minifigs as "white."  Maybe this is because I'm
white, but they just seem like white folk to me.  I'd like to see some
minifigs of other colors.  They don't have to be "black," maybe Lego could use
a darker shade of yellow or something...

I would have to defer to the argument that Jeff made earlier in this thread.
Asians, American Indians, and "white folk" all have different skin tones,
but yet, in Legoland, the mini-figs are all yellow.

Also, you're right, color doesn't matter.  However, humans are different
colors, and to ignore this fact by making the figures in a childs toy all one
color is somewhat racist.  Looking at minifigs kids are bound to associate
them with their own "race," excluding all other "races."

You know... you are right. I would like to stand up and and say right now
that lego discriminates against people who are overweight. When was the last
time you saw a mini-fig that had a pot belly? I mean, we are teaching our
children to be conformists with these toys. I mean, everyone is the same
height, weight, eye color.

Lets just stop the madness now folks.