 Off-Topic / Debate / 3066
  Re: Goodness of Man? (was: Re: Merry Christmas from the Libertarian Party

(...) Stuff and Nonsense to the both of you, lazy thinkers!... I have 3 points to make: 1. People aren't as lazy(1) as you think. Most people are industrious and hard working, even in this screwed up society of today. It's only in Legoland where the (...) (25 years ago, 31-Dec-99, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Goodness of Man? (was: Re: Merry Christmas from the Libertarian Party

(...) Industrious in the area of work is something completely different from lazy in other areas. You know that. [move stuff around a bit] (...) Exactly. Now replace "feel" with "under their analysis", _or_ replace "under our analysis" with "we (...) (25 years ago, 31-Dec-99, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Goodness of Man? (was: Re: Merry Christmas from the Libertarian Party

(...) Do tell. (...) That was a joke, son. (25 years ago, 31-Dec-99, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Goodness of Man? (was: Re: Merry Christmas from the Libertarian Party

(...) I disagree here, but I'm a cynical little punk. :) I think people in general are only as industrious as they have to be. I don't think the mean is quite as low as "lazy" tends to imply, but I do think the mean is too low for a system that (...) (25 years ago, 31-Dec-99, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Goodness of Man? (was: Re: Merry Christmas from the Libertarian Party

(...) OK, change that to ANYwhere in America or Canada. But yes, it's biased. That's the point! That's the society I want to see us return toward, a society in which everyone knows that if they work hard and are clever, they've got just as much (...) (25 years ago, 31-Dec-99, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Goodness of Man? (was: Re: Merry Christmas from the Libertarian Party

(...) Yowza! When did this society exist? I'd also love to return to it! It must be millennia since everyone had an equal chance of getting rich, and certainly never in the US! Dave! (25 years ago, 31-Dec-99, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Goodness of Man? (was: Re: Merry Christmas from the Libertarian Party

(...) Hmm. Opportunity was closer to equal then than it is now, but it still wasn't entirely equal. But I'll conceed the point. ;) (...) Then we're of the same mind here. I'll try and remember that next time I flare up at some LMF. :) James (URL) (25 years ago, 31-Dec-99, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Goodness of Man? (was: Re: Merry Christmas from the Libertarian Party

(...) So the american frontier is what you want to return to? I've got news for you: That also requires returning to the technological and productivity levels of then. The reason those two are so much higher now than they were then is (...) (25 years ago, 1-Jan-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Goodness of Man? (was: Re: Merry Christmas from the Libertarian Party

(...) If you can't see the contradiction, I'm not going to be able to point it out to you. (...) Yes.... and? I'm not quite as inept as you seem to think I am, you know. Jasper (25 years ago, 1-Jan-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

Sorry for so many posts, again! Jasper Janssen wrote in message <388409e2.919377893@...et.com>... (...) Jasper, I think you saw a contradiction where there was none. Point 4 that you refered too said (basically, what I read) that "constructively (...) (25 years ago, 1-Jan-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

Here I go again! James Brown wrote in message ... (...) general (...) quite (...) to (...) You cynic! :-) You are right - many peope are only as industrious as they have to be. Does this mean I am a cynic, too? No. I think the purpose of (...) (25 years ago, 1-Jan-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Goodness of Man? (was: Re: Merry Christmas from the Libertarian Party

(...) Don't be so lazy. Go ahead, try to point out the contradiction. Remember, I was talking about different kinds of lazy there. You, as not having come out against free goods, should have no issue with a simple request that you do some of my work (...) (25 years ago, 1-Jan-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Goodness of Man? (was: Re: Merry Christmas from the Libertarian Party

(...) Nothing of the sort. I want to return to the frontier mentality, the notion that we can, if we want, be very successful at any number of different things. (...) Again, hardly. The most frontierlike part of america right now is the e-space. (...) (25 years ago, 1-Jan-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Goodness of Man? (was: Re: Merry Christmas from the Libertarian Party

(...) Actually, I believe most inventors (the ones who I've seen documentaries telling about themselves, which is really all that can really tell you what they feel) are in it not so much to make life easier for themselves, but to make big bucks, or (...) (25 years ago, 2-Jan-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Goodness of Man? (was: Re: Merry Christmas from the Libertarian Party

(...) And if that isn't an argument against electroshock therapy I don't know what is! The above explains a lot <GD&R>. (25 years ago, 2-Jan-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Goodness of Man? (was: Re: Merry Christmas from the Libertarian Party

(...) I have no problem at all with such a request. My answer is "do it yourself, ya lazy B'stard", of course. I'm not entirely sure what you mean by 'free goods', though. BTW, I've been meaning to ask you, how do you feel about intellectual (...) (25 years ago, 2-Jan-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Goodness of Man? (was: Re: Merry Christmas from the Libertarian Party

(...) "E-space" (Now _there's_ a horrible term if I ever heard one. Almost as bad as "Information Superhighway"), however, is hardly frontier-like. (...) Gimme some search terms or general dates to work with. You're too prolific a poster (even when (...) (25 years ago, 2-Jan-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Goodness of Man? (was: Re: Merry Christmas from the Libertarian Party

(...) There you go again. Another incorrect assertion, presented without proof. Examine the aspects of something that make it frontier-like, and you'll find that the internet is indeed a frontier. What are your criteria for a frontier? (...) Look it (...) (25 years ago, 2-Jan-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Goodness of Man? (was: Re: Merry Christmas from the Libertarian Party

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, John DiRienzo writes: <snipped lots> Took me a bit to read through that and have it sink in, but I think I understand what you're getting at. And I (cynically) disagree. I don't think society is sufficiently evolved for a (...) (25 years ago, 2-Jan-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Goodness of Man? (was: Re: Merry Christmas from the Libertarian Party

(...) Indeed. I knew I was leaving myself wide open to exactly that response, but I wondered who was going to make it. Shoulda known. ;) BTW, you realise that EST is quite different from a mild 220/50 shock? I've also heard at various times that (...) (25 years ago, 2-Jan-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Goodness of Man? (was: Re: Merry Christmas from the Libertarian Party

(...) New, virgin territory, actual land, would be one. The internet may be vaguely analogous to the real world, but it just doesn't apply. The internet simply isn't space. It is a communications medium only. It provides a way of reaching new (...) (25 years ago, 2-Jan-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

Jasper Janssen wrote in message <38a2c49d.967187668@...et.com>... (...) Look it up. (...) And where did those mineral seekers live? Who built their houses? Why were there towns, banks, saloons, stores? How did they get to those far off places? Who (...) (25 years ago, 2-Jan-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Goodness of Man? (was: Re: Merry Christmas from the Libertarian Party

(...) Yes, in fact, very few MINERS got rich, but many of the support network DID. -- | Tom Stangl, Technical Support Netscape Communications Corp | Please do not associate my personal views with my employer (25 years ago, 2-Jan-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Goodness of Man? (was: Re: Merry Christmas from the Libertarian Party

So, you hate Thomas Edison because you've been shocked before? That makes sense. You hate him because he bent the rules to fit his needs. Your anger seems misplaced. Perhaps the wrong person got the reward and the fame, but perhaps you shot JFK (...) (25 years ago, 2-Jan-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Goodness of Man? (was: Re: Merry Christmas from the Libertarian Party

(...) Reading for comprehension isn't your best subject, I see? Neither is proper snipping when replying, apparently. (...) Nice try. I will not be baited this time. Jasper (25 years ago, 4-Jan-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)