 Off-Topic / Debate / 3152
Re: Goodness of Man? (was: Re: Merry Christmas from the Libertarian Party
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Sun, 2 Jan 2000 08:19:58 GMT

John DiRienzo wrote:

People weren't exactly able to get rich on the US frontier either just
through hard work and a vision. The only examples of people getting
rich off the frontier I can think off are the Texan oil-wells and the
California gold-rush, both of which involved mineral wealth (which
doesn't exist in virtual life), and much more luck than hard work, let
alone vision. Aside from mineral wealths, which can be "produced"
relatively easily, it would appear the only way to get rich off the
frontier was to wait till the farmers had done most of the real work
and move in then with investment money.

   And where did those mineral seekers live?  Who built their houses?  Why
were there towns, banks, saloons, stores?  How did they get to those far off
places?  Who invested in these ventures?  Did all of this magically produced
or was it "produced"?  ~Plenty~ of money was made on things other than
minerals.  ~Plenty~ of men got rich.  It was even that hard, as long as you
applied knowledge and worked.  And its not that hard now, but should (and
could) be easier.

Yes, in fact, very few MINERS got rich, but many of the support network DID.