 Off-Topic / Debate / 3142
Re: Goodness of Man? (was: Re: Merry Christmas from the Libertarian Party
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Sun, 2 Jan 2000 03:32:41 GMT

On Sun, 2 Jan 2000 01:51:40 GMT, Larry Pieniazek <lar@voyager.net>
wrote:
Jasper Janssen wrote:

"E-space" (Now _there's_ a horrible term if I ever heard one. Almost
as bad as "Information Superhighway"), however, is hardly
frontier-like.

There you go again.

Another incorrect assertion, presented without proof. Examine the
aspects of something that make it frontier-like, and you'll find that
the internet is indeed a frontier. What are your criteria for a
frontier?

New, virgin territory, actual land, would be one. The internet may be
vaguely analogous to the real world, but it just doesn't apply.

The internet simply isn't space. It is a communications medium only.
It provides a way of reaching new markets, of reaching markets more
easily, and how exactly that is done is fairly uncharted. It even
provides for new ways of doing things completely - but it remains just
a communications medium.

Not anything _new_.

People weren't exactly able to get rich on the US frontier either just
through hard work and a vision. The only examples of people getting
rich off the frontier I can think off are the Texan oil-wells and the
California gold-rush, both of which involved mineral wealth (which
doesn't exist in virtual life), and much more luck than hard work, let
alone vision. Aside from mineral wealths, which can be "produced"
relatively easily, it would appear the only way to get rich off the
frontier was to wait till the farmers had done most of the real work
and move in then with investment money.

Gimme some search terms or general dates to work with. You're too
prolific a poster (even when you add "+body: right") to just reread it
all.

Look it up yourself, you lazy get...

Errm, the burden of proof is upon you, not me, so in this case, you're
the one being lazy..

I'm quite willing to do some of the work for you, but be reasonable
here. I don't have that much to gain by doing the work, do I? (nor do
you, I suppose, when it comes down to it...)

And to tell you the truth, reading every single post you've ever made
to .debate just isn't my idea of a fun month.

Jasper