 Off-Topic / Debate / 3112
Re: Goodness of Man? (was: Re: Merry Christmas from the Libertarian Party
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Sat, 1 Jan 2000 20:49:39 GMT

  Sorry for so many posts, again!
Jasper Janssen wrote in message <388409e2.919377893@lugnet.com>...
On Fri, 31 Dec 1999 14:28:17 GMT, Larry Pieniazek <lar@voyager.net>
wrote:
Jasper Janssen wrote:

You're contradicting yourself with these two.

Do tell.

If you can't see the contradiction, I'm not going to be able to point
it out to you.

   Jasper, I think you saw a contradiction where there was none.  Point 4
that you refered too said (basically, what I read) that "constructively lazy
people" are a good asset to society.  Point 2 said "lazy people" are not an
asset to society.  Its the constructively lazy who invent things that make
it easier to be lazy.  But thats not their purpose for doing so.  There
purpose in inventing things is making life itself easier, not laziness.
Their (most inventors, I think) concept of living is far removed from the
concept held by truly lazy people.  They believe in making life easier, so
as to continue doing so, not so that at some point we can all not work.  So
that they can put their minds to use on bigger and better ideas and so they
can devote more time to enjoying life.  It is growth, which laziness is the
oppostie of.  Larry's play on words may be confusing, but its not a
contradiction.  Its a constructively lazy person's objective to make his own
life easier to live (but not to be lazy).  Larry chose Edison as an example,
and Edison invented the light bulb because:
1)  he had the idea for it
2) he had the know how and the means
3) it would make his life easier; (in a way) he was lazy, and didn't enjoy
the tediousness of using oil lamps, when he had better things he could
devote his time to.  Much like I hate to cook bacon in a pan when I can do
it far more easily and quickly (and just as well) in a microwave.
5) (maybe not a reason - maybe his primary reason) it would make others
lives easier, $profit$

   Larry calls this "constructive laziness".  I'd call it a pursuit of
happiness, but either is the same in this context.

   Further (again, my apologies), the work of the constructively lazy people
from point 4 does not enable the lazy people from point 2.  Only the society
and system we live within does that.  A more ideal system would encourage
more folks to ~be~ constructively lazy while the current encourages them to
~be~ plain lazy.

(ok, so I was too lazy to go back and fix the intro from 3 to 4)

No comment.

That was a joke, son.

Yes.... and? I'm not quite as inept as you seem to think I am, you
know.

   I don't doubt that.  I like reading your arguments; you argue well.  Your
wrong sometimes, but I have agreed with you, too.

Jasper
--
   Have fun!
   John

"Censorship is yet another tool in the dumbing-down of America
by a power structure that relies on a populace too lazy or ignorant
to think independently." -Vanessa McGrady