 Off-Topic / Debate / 3069
Re: Goodness of Man? (was: Re: Merry Christmas from the Libertarian Party
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Fri, 31 Dec 1999 14:09:23 GMT

On Fri, 31 Dec 1999 07:34:34 GMT, Larry Pieniazek <lar@voyager.net>
wrote:

1. People aren't as lazy(1) as you think. Most people are industrious
and hard working, even in this screwed up society of today. It's only in
Legoland where the majority of buildings are police stations and rescue
bases. The vast majority of us real-figs work our tails off and look at
all we've produced! This has been a grand century, despite its problems.

Industrious in the area of work is something completely different from
lazy in other areas. You know that.

[move stuff around a bit]

3. The level that naysayers feel is required of virtue X for libertopia
to work is way higher than what X is under our analysis, where X can be
"niceness", "honesty", "industriousness" or any of several other nice to
have virtues...

Exactly. Now replace "feel" with "under their analysis", _or_ replace
"under our analysis" with "we feel".

2. People are lazy because they are *enabled* to be lazy. There weren't
very many lazy people on the american frontier 100 years ago. Set
society up to ensure people suffer the consequences of their actions and
you'll soon stop complaining about how lazy everyone is. It'll take time
to shake off 60+ years of bad habits but it's doable. We have to break
the "entitlement mentality". People aren't entitled to anything, really,
other than rights protection.

4. Finally, constructive laziness as a vice is way overrated. It's
actually a virtue. We have constructively lazy people to thank for just
about every labor saving device ever devised. Edison was one of the
laziest people to ever walk the face of the earth. Thank goodness. Each
and every productivity improvement is basically an instant creation of
wealth, because now we can spend less time doing what we have to and
more on what we want to... I remain boggled that I had to work only
about an hour to earn enough to buy 3 (!!) portable CD players.

You're contradicting yourself with these two.

One of the reasons that the western world as a whole has such a high
productivity is exactly that we don't need to concern ourselves daily
with growing enough food for ourselves, wondering about what happens
if we get sick for a few days, etcetera etcetera.

(ok, so I was too lazy to go back and fix the intro from 3 to 4)

No comment.

Jasper