 Off-Topic / Debate / 27786
Re: lego from China and Czech Republic
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Tue, 30 May 2006 02:43:18 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Timothy Gould wrote:
   In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Marc Nelson Jr. wrote:
   In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Timothy Gould wrote:
   In lugnet.cad, John Patterson wrote:
   Is it just me, or are Legos becoming of a lower quaility. They just don’t seem to fit together the same. China and Czech republic, Perhaps that explains it. Perhaps the reason for the color change. I still cannot believe that they did a scientific study of what kids like best. Most kids would probably say doesn’t matter. I really feel that the quality is going down hill. I have over 7000 sets and and extra 535,000 parts. I hadn’t noticed this problem until I put together some newer sets, which I have not done for over 4 years. The change is there and it is obivious. I realize that Lego has been losing money, but another company going to China. I think that perhaps Lego needs another board of directors more concerned about quality than quick sales.

I’m pretty sure that Lego bricks aren’t made in China, only certain extra stuff. I have to say that I very much resent the implication here that stuff made in China or the Czech Republic will be inferior. I would hope you would keep such implicitly bigoted comments to yourself in future.

Tim

Moved to .off-topic.debate as I’m not sure what this has to do with CAD

Lighten up, Francis.

I don’t know about little plastic bricks, but I can tell the difference between Czech absinthe and French absinthe with my eyes closed (hint: the Czech stuff tastes like gasoline). Is absinthe better if it’s made by Frenchmen rather than Czechs? Clearly, yes.

Oh no, I’m a racist!

Tim, I would hope you would keep such politically correct, self-righteous moralizing to yourself in future.

Marc Nelson Jr.

Is this the new Marc Nelson Jr rule of Lugnet where he is allowed to complain about things he doesn’t like but other people aren’t? It’s good to see you hate arguments so much you feel compelled to join just about any one you see.

Tim

PS. And please don’t think I’m insulted for being called politically correct. I’d far prefer to be self-righteously PC than a self-righteous hypocrite like yourself.

Hey, you can argue all you want about whether people who want bricks to be made in Denmark are racist - especially since you did the right thing and posted to o.t.d. That’s what it’s here for. My last sentence was just a tongue-in-cheek rehashing of yours - I didn’t really mean the part about keeping your opinions to yourself (although you presumably did when you said it to John).

For the record, I’m on your side when it comes to where LEGO is manufactured. See here:

As an AFOL who complains long and loud about TLC actions that I disagree with, I feel I have a duty to chime in here:

I will not think less of TLC for moving production to China, and I will not buy less from TLC if they move production to China. I really don’t care if the bricks come from China or Mexico or El Salvador, as long as they keep coming.

I just think it’s possible to have a different opinion without being a racist.

Marc Nelson Jr.

Marc’s Creations