 Off-Topic / Debate / 27767
Re: lego from China and Czech Republic
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Sun, 28 May 2006 23:29:16 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, John Patterson wrote:
Tim:
I did not mean the comment to be bigot, I think that the quality suffers.  I
managed a multi million dollar corp. for 14 years after retiring from the Army.
I have been stationed in Europe and in Korea.  As a GM I dealt with products
from China.  They do not match up to the west and the USA.

And what has this got to do with the Czech Republic? As I said in the first
response Lego aren't even making bricks in China. What they are making in China
is the Lego branded plastic tat and things like the Dino2010 Dinosaurs.

By the way, I never
heard of being bigoted towards products.  I think that if you chilled a little
and used a dictonary you might find the correct meaning of bigot.

I just checked a dictionary and I stand corrected. I should have said you were
"implicitly racist" instead.

The working
conditions are not what they are here and we had to send many items back to
China to get fixed.

If Lego were outsourcing the prodcution you might have an argument here but they
are not. The only difference would be who and where the stuff is being made not
by whom it is controlled.

Would I be a bigot if I said that stearo items made in
Japan are better than the ones made in Korea, or the Yugo car is not as good as
a Ford?

I already covered why this is different in the parent post. If you implied that
the reason for the quality of a Ford car being lower is simply because its
production had moved to Jugoslavia then I would.

You sure are spring loaded to the pissed off position.

Only about some things. This is one of them. If you say you weren't implying the
quality would drop simply because the people making them are from a different
country then I will happily take back my comment and apologise. If you were then
I stand by it (in the corrected form substituting 'racist' for 'bigoted').

Tim