 Off-Topic / Debate / 23558
Re: Marriage (was: Re: Yet another push for thoughtful legislation from Tennessee)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Fri, 19 Mar 2004 19:57:25 GMT

I don’t think it’s so obvious, honestly. If the fundamental criterion for legal marriage is the possibility of childbirth, then non-fertile couples must not be allowed to wed. Similarly, if a wife and husband try unsuccessfully to conceive, must their marriage be dissolved?

Don’t ask, don’t tell;-) But seriously, privacy issues put that tack in irons.

   What is obvious is the fact that the possibility of childbirth is not the fundamental criterion of marriage. Equally obvious is the fact that the differences between men and women are not fundamental criteria, either.

If you want to argue that men and women are basically the same, bring it on;-D

Well, the last time I looked, they’re pretty different in most cases. But my point is that the difference between men and women is not central to marriage. Therefore the difference between men and women cannot be used as a gatekeeper criterion for denying marriage.

   Which, in your view, would be more destructive to the development and well-being of a child: a loving, stable marriage between two men in which the child is raised by both parents, or a bitter, abusive marriage between a man and a woman, in which one or both parents fail to provide emotional stability for the child?

Specious. You are comparing apples and oranges. Of course I’d never advocate abuse by anyone. By your analogy, 2 loving wolves would be better than 1 abusive heterosexual couple. Rephrase your question with the premise of “all things being equal”. That is a more valid analogy.

I think we can omit the wolves because they are manifestly not equipped (mentally or physically) to raise human children, whereas two men or two women are equipped mentally and physically to do so.

And your rephrasing of the analogy is special pleading, unless you can demonstrate why an approved gender-pairing must be among the set of “all things being equal.”

   If you are indeed thinking primarily of the child’s well being, and if you’re willing to have the Constitution altered to protect children’s well-being, wouldn’t it follow that dysfunctional heterosexual marriage must be banned along with homosexual marriage?

If not, why not?

Define “dysfunctional”.

A dysfunctional family is one that is prevented from maintaining a non-damaging emotional and physical environment for the members of that family, due to problems in dealing with normal stressors such as economic hardship, employment difficulties, illness, or interpersonal conflict.

If you’re uncomfortable with the term dysfunctional or my definition of it in this context, then substitute “unhealthy heterosexual marriage,” “adulterous heterosexual marriage,” or “abusive heterosexual marriage” instead, and my question remains.

   And BTW, the proposed Amendment doesn’t “ban” gay marriage; it merely defines marriage as the union of 1 man and 1 women. I could just as easily call it the “Amendment that bans polygamy”, but that isn’t really an accurate title.

Of course the proposed amendment bans gay marriage and, worse, it doesn’t guarantee any rights, which is what amendments are supposed to do in the first place! The fact that the ban is spun in “pro-marriage” language only makes the ban all the more insidious.

Dave!