 Off-Topic / Debate / 23563
Re: Yet another push for thoughtful legislation from Tennessee
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Fri, 19 Mar 2004 21:46:12 GMT

   In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Bruce Schlickbernd wrote:

   So, you are saying that those that can’t stand racists aren’t as bad as the actual racists, they are worse. As I said, stupid or self-serving.

Look, all I am saying is that if one is going to preach tolerance (read: pluralists), than be tolerant in all circumstances, not merely when it serves one’s agendas.

And I am saying that those that want to be intolerant (read: haters of those different from their own narrow views) have come up with an ego-defense mechanism that tries to equate their intolerance of others as the same as the disapproval of said intolerance (read: those who find the haters distasteful) as the same thing. It’s a game so that conservatives can play a game of gotchya.

   There is no justification for it, except to say that everyone has the right to their own (however bigotted) opinion.

But, of course, we aren’t talking about opinion, we are talking about evicting people from their homes because they are “not wanted in this community”, so we are talking about actions.

   (well, I do, it is a game to try and put liberals in the defensive while glossing over the faults of conservatives).

There is no glossing (unless you are accusing conservatives of racism?), but merely pointing out liberal inconsistencies (WRT to this issue)

Of course it is glossing over. That’s the whole point of the “Liberals are intolerant of intolerance, therefore they are just as bad” argument. It’s to remove the debate from the original problem, and attempt to shut up the critics. Look at your own string of answers: you avoid the original news item like the plague, and try to introduce anything you can to steer off-course and change the focus to criticism of liberals, and specifically that their criticisms aren’t valid (which, of course, supports the racists/sexists/homophobes/religious fanatics/etc.). Certainly not every conservative has thought this through - they just want to score debate points and feel good about themselves, but still, there it is.

-->Bruce<--