 Off-Topic / Debate / 23542
Re: Yet another push for thoughtful legislation from Tennessee
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Thu, 18 Mar 2004 23:46:05 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Bruce Schlickbernd wrote:

So I should not be able to form a club that excludes LEGO clone-lovers because I am limiting the freedom of Dave! to becoming a member?

Not the same example. What you want to do is forcibly evict Dave! from Lugnet because he (for the sake of this argument) plays with Brand X, even though he is not doing it on Lugnet.

If I am Todd, isn’t that my right? Need I justify my reasons? And to whom?

   If, say, a community that was a majority of Gays attempted to ban Christian fundamentalists from their community (“They aren’t wanted here”) the self-same ACLU would swope down to the defense of the Fundamentalists.

Doubtful. But even if they did, on what grounds?

Not doubtful at all - they have defended conservatives. It just seems as if they are only defending liberals because the conservatives are the ones trying to abridge individual freedom more often.

I think the ratio is a lot higher for other reasons. I like this (from their web site): Fighting Fetal Rights

You might suppose that the ACLU might be concerned about the rights of humans merely days away from birth. When your cause jibes with theirs, you’re in like Flint.

It’s the big joke-- everybody is intolerant of something-- it’s just that Liberals can’t acknowledge theirs!

The big joke is that conservatives can’t see that being a jerk, and can’t standing a jerk, aren’t the same things.

They aren’t, but you’ve lost me.

JOHN