 Off-Topic / Debate / 23549
Re: Marriage (was: Re: Yet another push for thoughtful legislation from Tennessee)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Fri, 19 Mar 2004 16:34:48 GMT

This all seems so blindingly obvious to me, I confess I find the whole gay
marriage debate rather confusing. What is there to debate?

When you speak about the issue in terms of contract recognition, sure it
seems obvious.  But doesn't this seem painfully obvious as well: men and
women are {not} the same.  The are not simply humans with irrelevant,
interchangable reproduction appendages.  There {are} distinctive, innate
qualities to each sex. Merely because they have equal rights doesn't mean
they are {the same}.  Isn't {that} obvious?  And isn't it obvious that the
{ideal} situation in which to raise a child involves 1 man and 1 women?

[JOHN]

Why?

You keep saying that, but I don't to see *why* it's obvious. Can you spell out
the real advantages of 1 man/1 woman? What, exactly, does it have over other
unions that makes it the superior way of raising children?

My experience with children to date is that gender isn't that big of deal until
later. Even then, I'm not 100% convinced that it would have as big an impact.
Early development seems to relies more on a caring, nurturing environment than
the actual sex of the caregivers.

-Evil Wayne [who's done nothing but lurk here for years]