 Off-Topic / Debate / 23543
Re: Yet another push for thoughtful legislation from Tennessee
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Fri, 19 Mar 2004 01:38:15 GMT

   In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Bruce Schlickbernd wrote:

So I should not be able to form a club that excludes LEGO clone-lovers because I am limiting the freedom of Dave! to becoming a member?

Not the same example. What you want to do is forcibly evict Dave! from Lugnet because he (for the sake of this argument) plays with Brand X, even though he is not doing it on Lugnet.

If I am Todd, isn’t that my right? Need I justify my reasons? And to whom?

What does membership in a private club have to do with forcing gays out of their own private property? And, just to address your example, the fictional “Todd” may well have to justify his reason, and to a judge, depending on the Terms of Service.

   Not doubtful at all - they have defended conservatives. It just seems as if they are only defending liberals because the conservatives are the ones trying to abridge individual freedom more often.

I think the ratio is a lot higher for other reasons. I like this (from their web site): Fighting Fetal Rights

I see you snipped the reason for the grounds: the self-evident exact same as the original. I take it you have no argument with that?

As to the ACLU page: I have no idea what you think backs you up there, and I’m not going to wade through numerous links trying to figure out what in the world you are talking about. Nor do I see any relation to my original statement: they have defended conservatives.

You might suppose that the ACLU might be concerned about the rights of humans merely days away from birth. When your cause jibes with theirs, you’re in like Flint.

You’ll have to be more specific, but don’t bother since it really is neither hear nor there to this discussion: It simply does not address what I said.

It’s the big joke-- everybody is intolerant of something-- it’s just that Liberals can’t acknowledge theirs!

The big joke is that conservatives can’t see that being a jerk, and can’t standing a jerk, aren’t the same things.

They aren’t, but you’ve lost me.

“Everybody is intolerant of something” which you are using in relation to liberals being “intolerant of intolerance”. Translated, “Liberals are as big as jerks as racists (insert homophobes, mysoginists, etc, as appropriate) because they are intolerant of the racists intolerance.” That is, they are somehow equal in their intolerance. That is simply one of the stupidiest or most self-serving conclusions that I have ever seen and it is one that is routinely used by conservatives.

You say they aren’t the same, but your examples contradict yourself.

-->Bruce<--