 Off-Topic / Debate / 18739
  Ticket prices going up

So I'm at my friendly neighbourhood automechanic this morning, getting some much needed work done on my vehicle, and I overhear an older gentleman talking about his trip to Alberta. He said that, when he was in Alberta, he found out that the (...) (21 years ago, 21-Jan-03, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Ticket prices going up

(...) Putting aside whether it's your civic duty to peacefully break unjust laws or not (a topic in its own right!),we're finding here in the states that just because you get a ticket (mailed to you), it doesn't mean you necessarily broke the law. I (...) (21 years ago, 21-Jan-03, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Ticket prices going up

(...) And I definitly concur with the idea that laws should, and must, be just. That said, the posted limit is 100 kph. It is my view that anyone doing anything above 100 kph is, in fact, breaking the law. Pretty much cut 'n dry. Whether the QEW or (...) (21 years ago, 21-Jan-03, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Ticket prices going up

Larry is 100% correct here. His uncharacteristic succinctness is probably just his not wanting to get sucked back into OTD, just as I do not wish to be sucked back in either. But the law must actually be more than merely "just." It has to make sense (...) (21 years ago, 21-Jan-03, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Ticket prices going up

(...) And again, I would concur with you, Richard--systems should not 'rule' the individual, and Justice should not be left up to machines. But two of the most vocal folks on the side of 'science' are doing away with science when science interferes (...) (21 years ago, 21-Jan-03, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Ticket prices going up

(...) Larry didn't say the cameras cause accidents. He said the use of the cameras causes accidents. One the one hand, I see the appeal of a totally automated ticketting system. On the other hand, I wonder who is going to apply human judgement. What (...) (21 years ago, 21-Jan-03, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Ticket prices going up

(...) On this I completely concur--DUI has to be the thing that gets my blood in a boil the most. Traffic weavers are also something I have mentioned that the cameras could and should help catch. It's not the 10 kph crowd I'm having a holy tirade (...) (21 years ago, 21-Jan-03, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Ticket prices going up

(...) Just to poke in again for a minute... I don't consider traveling by common conveyance a "privilege" (at least it should be considered a right in my view). One should be able to travel as a matter of right unless specific damages caused by one (...) (21 years ago, 21-Jan-03, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Ticket prices going up

(...) I'm not scared, I'm not apprehensive, I'm just busy. Not SO busy that I wasn't willing to toss one post in, but busy enough that I wanted to keep it short. It's a large topic, it's been visited before, etc. As for doing away with ot-d, I (...) (21 years ago, 21-Jan-03, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Ticket prices going up

(...) I'm curious if this is a change in stance from this post of yours: (URL) 17688, you seemed to be willing to take action based on a single camera (granted, a video camera, but still, just from a single angle). I am cautious of taking action (...) (21 years ago, 21-Jan-03, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Ticket prices going up

(...) I gotta be bored at work ;) I'm not talking about what may happen. I'm talking about what did happen--someone drove over the speed limit and a picture was taken. No one had a pic taken because they were 'going to' break the speed limit--that's (...) (21 years ago, 21-Jan-03, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Ticket prices going up

(...) Now I remember why I appreciate you in .debate (as if I'd ever forget...) ;) Not to give you a way of procrastinating... The fastest I've ever driven myself was 190 kph. It was in my new (then) 1986 Honda Prelude, and it was going down the (...) (21 years ago, 21-Jan-03, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Ticket prices going up

(...) Frank, I am not sure what you are seeing there -- I think it was my intent to be cautious about saying anything for certain about that instance of possible child beating. I did subsequently see the camera/video footage of the beating and if (...) (21 years ago, 21-Jan-03, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Ticket prices going up

(...) I am fascinated by this thread. I consider myself one who is generally lawful and generally appreciative of law and codes of conduct. Yet, I admittedly do not adhere to speed regulations while operating motor vehicles or heavy equipment. Be it (...) (21 years ago, 21-Jan-03, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Ticket prices going up

(...) Indeed, can not argue with that (...) I don't view it as cut and dry as that. can you be 100% sure that your speedo is that accurate. your speedo might be registering 98Kph but your actual speed may be 102Kph. there is a fair bit of debate (...) (21 years ago, 21-Jan-03, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Ticket prices going up

(...) Now that is one of the most enlightening points of view on this subject I have heard in years! :) I must add though, that if driving is just a privilege (as you and so many law enforcers have said), then what would the state do if no one (...) (21 years ago, 21-Jan-03, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Ticket prices going up

(...) I got a parking ticket notice from the city of San Francisco a number of years back. I was a bit puzzled since I hadn't been there in a year, but how do I prove it? It was as easy as checking the date: a half dozen of us were in SoCal (or (...) (21 years ago, 22-Jan-03, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Ticket prices going up

(...) Ok, you have clarified your stance. The way I read that post, it seemed to take a different view that you were expressing now. Frank (21 years ago, 22-Jan-03, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Ticket prices going up

(...) IIRC the earthquake occurred at around 5:04pm, so I would guess that moron probably wrote ~your~ ticket earlier in the day. Maggie C. (21 years ago, 22-Jan-03, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  ironic [Re: Ticket prices going up]

(...) Has the "end" been reached? ;) I expect I’m not alone in finding your comments rather ironic. Much of the discussion I am having with David has centred on whether or not I give adequate justification for statements I make. Lets look at your (...) (21 years ago, 22-Jan-03, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Ticket prices going up

(...) It may be an urban myth, but I'm pretty sure that in the UK we are allowed a 10% margin of error. Scott A (21 years ago, 22-Jan-03, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Ticket prices going up

(...) I knew that, but you spoiled the joke. Killjoy. ;-) -->Bruce<-- (21 years ago, 22-Jan-03, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: ironic [Re: Ticket prices going up]

(...) In Norway, too. To put it simple, you can more or less walk and camp whereever you want, as long as it is in a fair distance from houses where people live, and as long as you are not a disturbance. You must alsot avoid disturbing live stock. (...) (21 years ago, 23-Jan-03, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)