 Off-Topic / Debate / 15061
Re: Republic? (was: The *real* Phantom Menace ...)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Tue, 4 Dec 2001 08:41:27 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Ross Crawford writes:
In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Ross Crawford writes:

Our government passed an equally stupid bill regarding asylum seekers • recently
(with the help of the opposition, who'd be complaining about it now if they
weren't licking their electoral wounds!).

Talking of your government, I heard that you have a 100% chance of having a
republican PM next time around? Should the UK expect your flag and banknotes
to change?

You shouldn't listen to rumours! Anyone who predicts 100% chance in anything
political is talking through the wrong end of their digestive tract.

It's likely (IMO) we may become a republic in the next 20 years. I'm not
prepared to stick my neck out any further than that! Assuming it does happen,
then yes, our flag will change, though no-one's agreed on any alternative yet

A rather right-wing Oz friend always says the aboriginal flag looks good.
I've never seen it, but it sounds better than just making one up.

Rather interestingly, Scottish bank notes have no sign of the Queen on them...

Scott A

;
and our coins, as I don't think we'll want Bessie's bust on them; I don't think
she's on any of our notes any more, so they may remain unchanged.

ROSCO