 Off-Topic / Debate / 15007
Re: The *real* Phantom Menace and the fall of the republic
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Sat, 1 Dec 2001 20:50:56 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Shiri Dori writes:
*Actually*, to be fair, the "American Way" as you define it is *much* more
omnipresent in the Declaration of Independence than in the Constitution.

Well, if they were alive today -- I'd kiss Thomas Jefferson, shake hands
with guys like Madison and Jay, and kick Hamilton in the pain zone (::sigh::
if only Burr had killed him sooner =oP). No arguments over the value of the
Declaration, it just not quite the rule book like the Constitution or Bill
of Rights happen to be.  To understand how good people make bad compromises
to found a union of states one has to read Madison's Notes on the
Convention. It isn't so much that some people weren't ready to go much of
the way you talk about, it just wouldn't fly from the outset -- deals had to
be struck, compromises made.

Such is life.  Right now I live in the U.S., that may not always be so -- I
am really tired of the political ignorance (the only thing people are
expected to know about as a matter of course, having the vote, jury duty,
and all). I'll always deeply respect the liberty documents of this country
no matter what though.

-- Hop-Frog